Charlie and anybody else interested in Alco's and the L&N

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
:( Is it just me? There seems to be next to no L&N factory paint jobs out there in N-Scale, the same applies to Alco's (other than RS's). Don't seem to be many Sou, Atlantic, Seaboard, Cotton Belt etc. either. Why do the manufactures ignore the Alco C series (both 4- axle and 6) and most of the south and mid-atlantic roadnames. Below is an RS-3 and C-400 but I had to paint em' myself and the C-400 is a model power shell on a Atlas B23-7 mech. Com'on Alas and Kato get with it!:mad: ( yes I know there are some PA's out there but I'm talking freight).

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Tyson,

I's gots one of them in HO. Was gonna paint her up real pretty for the RI but then got into N-scale.

I deffinatly can share your pain on manufacturers ignoring certain road names. The RI was just about unheard of for engines when I first started the line 7 years ago. Now the manufacturers are finaly comming around.

I have seen and might have some L&N cars in the junk box, oh wait I do have two L&N cars ones a 33' hopper from micro-trains #89010 and the other is a box car but I dont know the number, The only reason I know is these are regular cars on my layout.

As for engines I don't know. I've been looking for a Shamut Lines SW12 but will settle on almost any thing that looks good.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Tyson,
good luck in your search. You might have to take brush in hand for awhile.
I didn't know how much rolling stock there was I've been collecting every RI peice I could find and am just recently stepping out to get some other roads on the lay-out. I just remembered the hopper cause in just seem to fit in on the lay-out.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Catt, first get 2 body shells as things like the steps tend to break easy. There are a few knobs on the inside of the roof of the body shell that need to be removed. The oiler line(I'm guessing at that's what they are) on the trucks on one end had to be removed to clear the steps on tight curves. Then a fair amount of grinding on the metal frame of the mech. on each end so the body would slip over it. All in all it's not that bad(can't be if I can do it :D ), just ticks me off these loco's are completely ignored by Atlas and Kato. When you get done the biggest thing that is noticeable is the Model Power shell has oversized steps and handrails.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Tyson,
It looks like you've done some really fine work with those engines!
I, at one time, not too long ago, had this pipe dream of building an N scale version of the L&N's Cumberland Valley Div.
I wanted it to be in the early 60's, so I could use as many as 5 paint schemes on the engines, & have both the newer bay window cabeese, & the old "woodies".
But alas, one more big scheme of mine that never got off the ground. (yet...;) )
That is one thing that I love about the early 60's L&N, was that wonderful hodge podge of 1st, & 2nd generation diesels that you would see lashed together, sometimes 6 or 8 to a consist, & always plenty of Alco's, belching that black smoke...
Ahhhhh...just the thought of all those diesel fumes brings a tear to my eye, & a lump in my throat...:D

BTW - The weathering on those Alco's is really fine!
They look like the real McCoy!

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Are you ready for that kind of disapointment? Half the layoout is still the Styrofoam, Spackling Compound, Plywood & Great Stuff Midland. Half the remaining is the previous painted flat green. In other words only about 25% is anything near finished scenery. I'll try to take a few pics of the other areas and post a overview soon. Ought to give everyone a good laugh.:D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
C'mon, Tyson...
You know we're all kindred spirits here...I would never think of building anything again without sharing it with my buddies on The Gauge! I value the critisism as much as the praise!

We LOVE looking at layouts, pink styrofoam, spackling, warts, & all! :D:D:D

BTW - Thanks for sharing...you really do have a great layout!

Oh, & I'm working on some scetches for K&I expansion that I'll try to get on the Track Planning forum as soon as I can.