Chaging PDF scale of downloaded models please

ckinnell

Can any one please explain a quick and simple way of accurately changing scale of models D/L in PDF format, as, i like to model in 1 to 1oo scale, locos and all vehicles etc etc, say 1/87 to 1/100 or 1/120 to 1/100.

If their is a free to download and use software D/L to be found that will do this automatically, please can some one tell me where it is found, or, if not, how i can as stated above, do alterations but simply and straight forward, to achieve my goals please......

Thanks for all help in this matter and best regards to one and all.

Tom...:);)

Tirick

I use GIMP to rescale (it opens regular .pdf's just fine). Explaining how to do so however is beyond the scope of a single reply.

It is a free program however. If there is enough interest I can write up a quick tutorial.

Sean

Lord Manimal

I normally just take a measurement of the real model, say if I'm making a paper Leman Russ, open up the PDF in photoshop (you can open up pdf's directly btw) and then select the whole image and move up or down till the size of the one peice I measured matches; the rest matches automatically of course. Don't know if that helps or not...

ckinnell

Thanks to both, will give each suggestion a good look at, regards and grateful thanks to both........

Tom.........:thumb:

MAGI

Great information.
I was just looking at a train I downloaded but it was too big from my city I am working on.

Good old GIMP.
love it and forgot it opened PDF's.
Thanks for the information, think I can get it from here.

RINGMASTER

I decided to play around with this. I opened a PDF then captured part of it with grab, this is an easy way to crop parts and converts them to TIFF. I then opened the TIFF and saved it as a JPEG.

paper hollywood

Well, Slickaa, if you do a screen capture while your Reader image is up, the image you captured will be the exact size of your screen resolution. However, a captured image is a bitmap, which cannot be enlarged without loss of detail. One advantage of having many models in the PDF (Adobe Reader) format is that models can be vector images, which means it can be enlarged without detail loss.

There would be no advantage to printing the way you describe, though. If you want to enlarge a vectored PDF, you have a couple of options. The easiest is to use Reader's zoom feature to zoom in on a part, then, in Readers print feature, designate to print the screen. You might have to do 3-4 prints for each page this way.

I have also enlarged PDF files after importing them into a vector editor, such as CorelDraw, and enlarging the pages to a specific percentage. To do this you need to separately select the individual shapes and reposition them to fit on pages. This takes a good bit of software skill and also doesn't work with all PDFs.