Cement for plastic/styrene

Tomytuna

Hi all!..i've build plastic structures and have recently had a couply of structres Loose their walls because platic glue had "dried out" or something. My original glue was "testor's Plastic cement". I have since switched to PLASTRUCT Weld. platic solvent cement and so far no problems...BUT, the reason i write this thread is to get feedback from all on what product you find to be BEST?!....nothing like breaking your but to construct nice model only to have roof pull off when you lift it.....Coments on adheassive for wood structures would also be wellcome as i'm about to try my 1st.....Thanks to all Tom

N

nachoman

there are different types of glues for different types of plastics. I think there are three types of plastics you commonly see in models - Styrene, ABS, and that black slippery stuff used for trucks and gears. Styrene and ABS take different glues, and nothing will glue the black slippery stuff. read here: http://www.plastruct.com/Pages/Properties.html

The best glue I have found for styrene is the testors stuff that comes in the black rectangular bottle with the little stem sticking out of one corner. The testors stuff that comes in the tubes (model airplane glue) is crap.

kevin

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
MEK is the best
I agree with that. :thumb: The only caveat here is, use good ventilation, and avoid, as much as possible, contact with the skin. MEK is quickly absorbed, and, in large enough "doses" can cause nerve damage.
Application of solvent cements is best done with the joint made and held in place. The solvent flows into the joint and "welds"it.

N

nachoman

Is MEK difficult to buy in some places? It seems I remember reading that when I was doing auto painting.

kevin

N

nachoman

One more thing... whatever you use - make sure you follow all safety and environmental regulations. Exposure to some of this stuff can make you REAL sick. I would recommend nitrile gloves when using MEK. Make sure any unwanted chemical is disposed of properly. Things like paint thinner, antifreeze, batteries, and latex paint should never be dumped on the ground or put into the regular trash. I deal with contaminated groundwater issues at work, and the money spent cleaning up and monitoring toxins is HUGE. The health or environmental effects of such toxins is even worse.

kevin

Russ Bellinis

MEK stands for Methyl-Ethyl-Keytone, if I remember correctly, it is the main ingredient in the Plastruct cement. You can get MEK at most home centers in the paint dept. It will be stocked with the other thinners. The Testors cement in the little black square bottle is laquer thinner. Laquer thinner will work fine with styrene, it will not work on abs. In fact abs is impervious to laquer thinner. The mek will work on styrene or abs. I think the Testors glue in the tube is acetone based with fillers that give it the thick texture as compared with the laquer thinner and mek based solvents.

Jim Krause

Also be aware that MEK is extremely flammable, causes kidney and liver damage and causes depletion of the ozone layer. Also may subject you to a visit from the local drug task force if you buy very much of it, since it is used in the manufacture of methamphetamines. Its a great solvent and degreaser but needs to be handled with care. Check out the MSDS for it. I would suggest researching the cements and adhesives that are readily available for specific types of plastics, wood etc.