Cb&q

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Why do almost all CB&Q engines and rolling stock only say Burlington on them?
What about Chicago and Quincy?
Are there any models out there that have a CB&Q logo or are they all Burlington?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just like "Why do Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe engines only say Santa Fe?" or "Why do Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific engines only say Rock Island?" The shorter names are more memorable.

Kanawha

Apr 1, 2007
Glendale, AZ
The farther back the equipment dates the more likely the full name will be on it. Modern tendencies are to shorten everything as if trying to remember Atchinson, Topeka, and Santa Fe is a task for Mensa scholars only. Nicknames are fine for conversation, but railroads not painting their full name on equipment is just lazy in my opinion. Find a 1900 era Boxcar, chances are it'll have the full CB&Q name on it.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
It just kinda bugs me because I thought about doing the CB&Q Peavine branch line that ran between Ft. Madison and Batavia, IA. I wanted the engines to actually say CB&Q. Of course, the line ran durring the steam era so it's still possible I suppose.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
People love to shorten things. That's why we had a Y2K problem (not to be confused with P2K). And they get nicknames. The Nickle Plate Road had that on the cars (or NKP) but I can't remember the original name. The Moffat Road: did that have another name? New York, New Haven and Hartford -- became just New Haven.
And all those street car lines that ended with "Electric Railway, Light and Power" (TMERLP).

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
Triplex said:
Just like "Why do Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe engines only say Santa Fe?" or "Why do Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific engines only say Rock Island?" The shorter names are more memorable.

the first rock island name was Rock Island and La Salle Railroad

here is the complete history on the rock island. and all the railroads they took over and all the name changes.

http://faculty.simpson.edu/RITS/www/histories/RIHistory.html

N

nachoman

What about the NBA team, "the sky harbor airport Suns" that put "PHX" on their jerseys? Sorry folks, PHX is the code for the Phoenix airport, not the city. Tacky, tacky, tacky. In these days of text messaging, I hold my breath for the tackiness and bad grammar to come.

Kevin

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
nachoman said:
What about the NBA team, "the sky harbor airport Suns" that put "PHX" on their jerseys? Sorry folks, PHX is the code for the Phoenix airport, not the city. Tacky, tacky, tacky.
No worse than Rush playing YYZ I suppose. :D

nachoman said:
In these days of text messaging, I hold my breath for the tackiness and bad grammar to come.
Wht RU Tlkng abt? txtng is teh sexxorz!
It's L33Tspk tht sux!!!!111!!!
:D :D

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Cannonball said:
No worse than Rush playing YYZ I suppose. :D

Wht RU Tlkng abt? txtng is teh sexxorz!
It's L33Tspk tht sux!!!!111!!!
:D :D
I talk to a few people on messenger and we NEVER talk like that,so damned irritating:curse:!

I actually don't mind the shortening of road names that much,but sometimes it goes to far.For example when they shortened Rock Island to "The Rock",now that's really bad I think.Almost as bad as the baby blue paint sheme they adapted while in their death throes.Bleh!

Oh,and I love the CB&Q passenger scheme!It's right up there with the AT&SF's Warbonnet scheme.

Chris

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
nachoman said:
In these days of text messaging, I hold my breath for the tackiness and bad grammar to come.

Agreed. People that can't form basic sentences don't get my help on forums and get blocked on my AOL Messenger list, too. I can overlook some problems if they make an effort, but if they're not even going to try then neither am I.

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
railohio said:
Agreed. People that can't form basic sentences don't get my help on forums and get blocked on my AOL Messenger list, too. I can overlook some problems if they make an effort, but if they're not even going to try then neither am I.
All lower case is my pet peeve. It takes a certain level of arrogance to ask someone for help, while not taking the time or care to write a readable request. Fortunately, it is not nearly as bad here as it is in the computing lists.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Torpedo said:
All lower case is my pet peeve. It takes a certain level of arrogance to ask someone for help, while not taking the time or care to write a readable request. Fortunately, it is not nearly as bad here as it is in the computing lists.

Heh. I'm not certain "arrogance" is the right word. Problem is if they can't use the "Shift" key they probably can't form a superiority complex either. :D

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Torpedo said:
I'm not sure which is worse; all lower case or all caps. Either way, it gets anoying if someone won't use proper capitalization and/or punctuation. If it's just a quickie message to a single person, I can understand it. However, when you're writing something that several people are going to read, why not make it legible?? Mispellings of simple words drive me nuts as well.

I can make exceptions for people with disabilities who may have difficulty typing. however, when the common man can't make himself clearly understood through written speach, it is a sad sad day.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I find it irritating when short forms and initials become official names. For an example outside our interest:
National Biscuit Company became Nabisco. Then Nabisco Brands Limited. The NBL. I think they went to NBL something before someone else took over.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
60103 said:
I find it irritating when short forms and initials become official names. For an example outside our interest:
National Biscuit Company became Nabisco. Then Nabisco Brands Limited. The NBL. I think they went to NBL something before someone else took over.
I really don't mind abbreviations that much.
However, the subject does take me back to the original point of this post-

Who decided that Burlington was easier than CB&Q???
I know which one I'd rather do if I was the guy painting those logos.