CAUTION: PM's from a new "member"

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I've been make aware that several people have gotten PM's or email from a new member "Turing". I've seen the email and it does contain a link. I would advise that anyone getting these to not click on the link. I have no idea where it takes you but I don't want to find out either. :eek: :eek: Like any other email you get from a stranger, use caution, your computer can be compromised and you might not even know it.

As of a few minutes ago, Turing has been restricted from access to this forum or sending PM's or email to anyone here.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
TOO Late. :) I know I should know better. ;)

I felt it weird someone I didn't ever see post would send me a PM.

Don't worry the link will not crash your PC - just some reincarnation / Buddha stuff. Something I'm not in the least bit interested in.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Well, I'm glad it no more onerous than that. But still, this is one ploy that the bad guys use to trick us into their spider web. This upgraded software has done wonders in keeping our spam count down, but there is still the occasional spammer that gets by and then there are those that are promoting an issue or a way of life and that's not right either. There's plenty of other places on the Internet for that.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
I was wondering :confused: what this was about?
I hope that I did not do something wrong.
I did a reply- told him that he should post on the site and not do PMs.
Said welcome to The Gauge.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
No, you did no harm, he can't get your email address that way, it just clutters up the system thinking of all the Pm's that he might have sent. I'm wondering if this guy is using some software that takes our members list and creates a PM to each person on the list. It would take some time even then since we limit the number of PM's anyone can sent at one time.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Saw it and deleted it,no sense taking any chances!I found it odd he would PM people and not introduce himself in the forums instead like everybody else does.

Chris

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I got it too, hope this isn't a vulnerability with the site. I checked the member registry and he wasn't even listed. May have crossed from another forum?
Charlie
No, he won't show up in the member directory until he posts somewhere in the forums. We no longer show members with zero posts, but they are in the database and I can find them when it becomes necessary.:thumb: In this case, all he did was try to send out PM's to everyone that he could, he never posted...

In an open forum like we have here, it's hard to prevent these thing, it could happen on any forum that has a PM system in place. If we start adding locks then that will just inconvenience everyone else so we play a balancing game and stay alert. jawdroptrain97

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I never got it (thats a good thing lol) but I just have to say that I have not seen one bit of spam on here since we changed servers!!! This is the first I have heard of any spam on the "new gauge". Thanks Peter, Don, Mikey and all the other mods!!!!! :thumb: :mrgreen:

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
I was a sucker i clicked the link .. even though i really should know better :).

I liked some of the image he had posted though downloaded a couple of them to my computer no ill effect so far, but i'm not advocating clicking on the link .. honestly i really should have known better :eek:ops:.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
I never got it (thats a good thing lol) but I just have to say that I have not seen one bit of spam on here since we changed servers!!! This is the first I have heard of any spam on the "new gauge". Thanks Peter, Don, Mikey and all the other mods!!!!! :thumb: :mrgreen:
I totaly agree TruckLover, it's MUCH better now! I too got this PM and had no clue as to WHY he'd send a PM to someone if he had no clue of whom that person was. I just ignored it, and I'm gonna go delete it now:mrgreen: THanks to all of the Mods, and keep up the superb work!:thumb: