Caulk?

Snizotch

Nov 9, 2006
Mokena, IL
Some people have mentioned that you can glue your road bed and track down using silicone caulk. Any one have any ideas on how you can do this without getting caulk all over the ties? It seems like it would make a big mess out of the tracks.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
I think you have to remove the flextrack first, then apply a bead of the silicone caulking to the roadbed where you want to lay the track, spread it out just a little using a putty knife, then put the track down and hold it in place temporarily using pushpins. After the silicone sets, you can take off the pushpins and the flextrack should stay in place.

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
I use two types, white and clear. The white is all purpose for attaching anything. I use the clear under my track to attach to the roadbed. It goes on white, but dries clear. A little ballast over top, and you're done.

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Mason, I think we have all been there before. At least you used it on your layout; I used it around the door frame in the kitchen and wondered why no paint would stick. . . .

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I used white lates caulk, although I didn't entirely remove the track to do so. First I laid out the track on the cork roadbed exactly where I wanted it and pinned it down. I then lifted small sections one at a time about 1/2" high by raising the pins and applied a thin dab of caulk to the cork by first spreading it on a putty knife and then sliding it under the ties. I repeated about every 3" along the track. Push the track and pins back down until it sets. Worked great.
Doc

kitsune

Sep 10, 2006
MasonJar said:
Use LATEX caulk too - it's paintable in case you get some where you don't want it, but don't notice until later... Don't ask how I know this...

Amen.

Note you *can* use glue instead, but it generally takes longer to dry. You can do a lot of tracklaying or roadbedding binging with caulk.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
One other advantage to using latex caulk is that it can fill in any "whoop dee dos" that might show up under the roadbed. If you use a cdx grade of plywood for a bench top instead of some of the more expensive grades, the latex caulk can be used to fill and smooth knot holes under the roadbed.