Cattle Call

DeckRoid

Apr 28, 2007
Caldwell, ID
Very nice model. How many pieces was that?!? I was looking at a nice building I thought I might get, but it has 1100 pieces. I am not the greatest at building models... my forte is more in wiring and benchwork...

Are those the shingles it came with or are they the thicker paper shingles? I love the little details, but I keep finding myself supergluing my fingers together!

That loading ramp reminds me of a Simpson's episode...

"Come on Jimmy, let's take a peek at the killing floor. Don't let the name throw you, Jimmy. It's not really a floor, it's more of a steel grating that allows material to sluice through so it can be collected and exported."

sign1

George

rlundy90

Oct 2, 2007
Anola, Manitoba, Canada
I'm not sure how many pieces there are to that kit.It isn't to challenging. The walls are in three or four sections each. The hardest part I found was making the railings. The shingles are real cedar shingles applied one at a time and weathered dark grey. I get them from Dave Barron at Sierra Scale Models. The elevator also uses his scale glass for windows. These are both awesome products at a very reasonable price. The shingles come in sheets that you cut to the size you want. Lay a bead of glue down and stab 1 with an exacto knife and stick it on.Takes a while but the results are worth it. Dave Barron is the fellow that built the cattle pens I was talking about. I will email him and ask if he minds me posting the pictures of them. Ron

rlundy90

Oct 2, 2007
Anola, Manitoba, Canada
Hi Deckroid. Here are the pictures of the Campbells stockyards. Dave Barron from Sierra Scale model built and weathered this kit and has kindly given me permission to post his pictures. Sorry they aren't a bit clearer but had to take them off of the pictures I had as I somehow missplaced the original files. Hope this helps, Ron.

Attachments

• ron's pics#1 597.jpg
    ron's pics#1 597.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 7
  • ron's pics#1 598.jpg
    ron's pics#1 598.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 7
  • ron's pics#1 599.jpg
    ron's pics#1 599.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 7

rlundy90

Oct 2, 2007
Anola, Manitoba, Canada
Yeah and I think it only has 945 pieces. Just kidding. All I build is craftsman kits like this. They really don't take that long. The elevator took me about 20 hours(not including the shingles that was probably another 10 hrs.).Only drawback is the price. They can get pricey but I buy everything off ebay so its not too bad. A kit like the stockyard usually runs between $35-$50. It is $70 at Walthers and cheaper on some of the online stores. In any case I think the wooden kits make a much more natural looking model and I find them much easier to paint and weather. I've only built one plastic kit and I can't say I really enjoyed it as I didn't find it challenging enough.Ron

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Another thing to consider if you are modeling in the1950's or earlier when live stock were still routinely shipped by rail is that the railroad was required to stop the train every few hours and water the animals. They may have had to feed them as well. I think that the most common practice was to have stock pens on a siding adjacent to the mainline where the livestock would be turned out to eat and drink before being loaded back onto the train. I think such trains would usually have a drover's caboose, or an old coach on the back to house the cowboys who rode the train to herd the animals. The railroad was required to allow the animals time to eat and drink enroute, but to my knowledge, the shipper was required to supply the stock handlers to herd the animals off and on the train. Such a facility would consist of multiple chutes and small pens only with a watering trough on one side. Basically the pen would be big enough to hold one carload of animals. The railroad would want to stop the train in one place, unload all of the animals, allow them to drink, and herd them back on the train. The pen might be big enough to hold a number of carloads with multiple chutes, but I think the railroad would want to limit forward and backing moves as much as possible to make the stops no longer than necessary. There would be no need for buildings on the site. Another possibility is a pen and loading chute set upon a ranch that would be set on a siding next to the mainline but away from the ranch headquarters. Such loading pens allow for a loading facility in a very limited space.

For you guys modeling the U.P. in Southern California, the Farmer John packing house in Vernon (industrial suburb of Los Angeles) used to receive pigs on the U.P. hogex. They were still receiving them in the 1990's, I don't know if the practice continues. I saw the hogex go by our shop in the City of Industry once then after it passed I smelled it!! The train consisted of 3 large diesels, and about 4-5 stock cars. It was traveling about as fast as any train I ever saw go by. I think the hogs were probably loaded in the midwest, and delivered to So Cal. I'm sure they were kept on the fatest schedule the U.P. could run in order to minimize the number of watering stops required for the hogs. I'm not sure if the train needed all of the power units they had on the point, or if there was an extra unit to give the crew more room between them and the smell!

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
For you guys modeling the U.P. in Southern California, the Farmer John packing house in Vernon (industrial suburb of Los Angeles) used to receive pigs on the U.P. hogex. They were still receiving them in the 1990's, I don't know if the practice continues.
That stopped sometime in the 90s. It may have been the last regular livestock movement in America - either that, or some trains run by Conrail that often carried one or two stock cars.