carrion - eye candy?

Bill Pontin

Wanted to add a little more eye candy to my last four foot N Trak module. Have bald eagles on one of my other modules and wanted something different on this one. Went to the library and researched the California Condor. Came up with a pretty good resemblance using .010" thick styrene and thick glue. It was to be something for those "eye spy" folks that try and find all the details. Hard to spot in the first picture but it is in the center at the very top.

Attachments

• mvc-005s.jpg
    mvc-005s.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 315

Bill Pontin

Well all was fine and dandy until I added the dead animal carcass, the wife veto'd the idea since there were young children at the shows. What do you fellow models think, the carcass is not glued down yet

Attachments

• mvc-004s.jpg
    mvc-004s.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 312

Bill Pontin

Another shot. Was going to make several feeding on the carcass but now I am not too sure, these are family shows that I set up my module at.

Attachments

• mvc-006s.jpg
    mvc-006s.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 314

DanishKnight

Great looking condor!:thumb: And the rock formation is exceptional! Have you posted how you make the rocks? I'm in the design phase of a small bookshelf layout and your rocks are incredibly realistic. Would be nice to have small versions of your rocks on my layout, if it ever gets built!

Great modeling!:thumb:

spitfire

You should take out that scary-looking carcass and put in a cute little bunny-rabbit instead. Little kids love bunny-rabbits. Maybe they won't even see the condor, hehehe.

~ Val~

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Its part of nature so could even be a learing thing for kids. Condors have to survive and help to keep nature clean. I don't know if condors are different from vultures in the natural desire to feast until only bones are left.
The Condor looks very real in the setting. A real nice addition to you wonderful module Bill.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
If you (or your wife) are worried about the kids, why not try a nondescript pile of fur and bones - something that looks a little less obvious? The kids may over look it, but the adults will probably still get it.

Or, you could always put up one of those "interpretive" signs like you find in nature reserves and parks that explain what is going on in a particular view or at a particular point in the park.

Very nice work on the condor, by the way :)

Andrew

Bill Pontin

okay! the concensus is leave it. I've glued the gruesome carcass in place this afternoon. One reconciliation is that the children that could possibly be upset by it cannot see it from their prespective. It is hidden from their floor view and even the little stools that they stand on. Thanks for all the comments and the praise on the condor. :)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I'm glad you're keeping it! Very unique and interesting addition, the sort of detail viewers will really appreciate once they notice it.
Ralph

SD70BNSF

Condor

Great looking Condor!

I'd love to hear a little more about how you made it. The feathering at the tips is really nice.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Bill,
I don't know what the little ones will think, but I'm glad to hear that you've parked your carcass where it belongs.:D :D :D :D