Cargo Tram

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi traction modellers,

I like trolleys (Muni's F line is my favourit) though not modelling them. Here are two photos I took in Dresden. There is a VW plant right in the middle of the city, they're manufacturing luxury cars there (the Phaeton and parts for Bentleys). To keep the trucks out, they use Cargo Trams over the existing tram tracks. They shuttle between the plant and logitics center near a rail yard. Hope you'll liek the photos.:wave:

Attachments

• DSC02361.jpg
    DSC02361.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC02362.jpg
    DSC02362.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 119

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Caliban, Thanks for the information. Are they articulated vans?
I see a Ferris wheel off to the side of the first picture.

I love your tram system and I bet you guys are proud of it also.
Clean and reliable .
Please post more from Germany, I was over there in 69 and again in 71, and realy enjoyed my short stays.

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi Chris,

yes it's articulated. It's the only cargo tram I know. The ferris wheel is not permanent, the City of Dresden is celebrating it's 800#s anniversary this years. BTW the rebuilding of the main station is more than halfway finished, the rebuilding of the Frauenkirche was officialy finished this year... and lots more. They have a realy good system of buses, trams and trains in Dresden, as in most bigger cities. My hometown has no trams, but neighboring Kassel has. I'll have all the trolley and tram nuts in mind next time I'll see a tram. My cell phone has a 2megapixel camera built in, that comes in handy when discovering oddities like a cargo tram. BTW, my wife is from Dresden, my in-laws still living there. The city is still recovering from WWII damage, take a look...

all buildings where destroyed in early 1945 and rebuilt in recent years.

Sorry no trams!:eek:ops:

Attachments

• DSC02364.jpg
    DSC02364.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC02375.jpg
    DSC02375.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC02371.jpg
    DSC02371.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC02367.jpg
    DSC02367.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 95

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Man !! Beautifully restored or rebuilt.

Tobias

My Son has married a lovely Girl whose Parents are from Germany original, Meining is her maiden name.

Her Opa Heinz Tiede is on vacation in Germany at the present .
Small world eh!
We came over here in 1980 from Manchester England.
Just a bit of info, as a way of intro

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Yep,

so you're an english man in Canada? I've been only once in Canada, for one month in Manitoba in '97, a canadian MP called it the a....hole of Canada:eek:ops:, Shiloh CFBsign1. Hope to come back to Canada again, the best about Shiloh is the CN(?) main line straight through the base. Got my only canadian scale modeler issue(?) from a guard at CP' Winnipeg shops main gate. I liked Manitoba very much.:thumb:

Attachments

• DSC01958.JPG
    DSC01958.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 101

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
So you trained at CFB Shiloh , I was at a friends wedding last night he did 25 in the Brit army, and trained there also on occasion..
He is here now.
That unit I have see in the Toronto yards I am sure 1647, i`ll have to check my pics soon if so I`ll post you one here.:wave:

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Is 1647 still alive? Yes I did, learned a lot in the time. German army had a training esthablishment there GATES (German Army Training EStablishment). I've been an mech. infantry officer cadet back then.
Found two photos my parents took in Dublin:

Attachments

• Irland_Urlaub (179).jpg
    Irland_Urlaub (179).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Irland_Urlaub (180).jpg
    Irland_Urlaub (180).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 101

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi,

DVB=Dresdner Verkehrsbetriebe=Dresdner Municipal Transport Services (yes only 2 e's in Dresdner is correct). The official name is "CarGo Tram" and it's a joint venture between Volkswagen and the DVB. DVB runs the trains because legislative and insurance issues. Only two trains exist. Found a link with more photos and some technical info, sorry most is german. More trams cam be found on that site:
http://www.trampicturebook.de/tram/germany/dresden/cargotram.htm