Carfloat Railroad Update

JorgeC

Mar 5, 2007
New York
Hello Everybody,

Its been awhile since I've posted anything. I hope everyone has made progress on their model railroads. I have been very busy on the real railroad, where time on the model railroad is has become very limited. I havent done much, but I have managed to get building No.2 up, with two more on the way. The Bronx Union has also picked up two more ALCO's. One ex Conrail RS11 that will be part of the Bronx Union lease fleet and an ex CNW RS3m, the one that was wrecked and rebuilt with an RS11 long hood.

I do have one question. I went to a flea market last week and got six Tyco or Mantua coal hoppers, the one's with the operating doors, for 3.00 dollars. Are these hoppers a generic design or are they based on a real car?

Have fun,
Jorge

JorgeC

Mar 5, 2007
New York
I'm dumb. I forgot the pics:p.

Attachments

• picture001ew1.jpg
    picture001ew1.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 8
  • picture002jz2.jpg
    picture002jz2.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 7
  • picture003rf2.jpg
    picture003rf2.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 7

JorgeC

Mar 5, 2007
New York
O.K. Thanks for the I.D. I want to use these cars on a 1' x 3' layout that I have under the main layout. I want to build a small cement plant on the 1' x 3', but I still havent decided if to build it as a standard gauge operation that is isolated from the rest of the national network or as a narrow gauge.

N

nachoman

Love the ALCos!

My guess on the hoppers is they are probably a compromise. The design probably started as a prototype but was "modified" to make it operate. Somewhere, I remember finding a link to tyco trains on the net...

TYCO Trains Resource

I don't see the answer to your question there, but maybe it is at least a step in the right direction? There are some tyco enthusiasts out there, maybe you could contact the author of the website, or post to the tyco forum!

Kevin

JorgeC

Mar 5, 2007
New York
Hello Everyone,

I took advantage of the hot weather today and started to ballast some sections of the railroad. I took it very slowly, but I am not happy with the results. My wife says it looks great! What do you guys think?

Stay cool,
Jorge

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 7

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
JorgeC, WOW!!:eeki: I REALLY LIKE the CNW Alco:thumb::thumb::thumb: . can you tell me more about it? did YOU bash it?:confused: NICE JOB!:thumb: GOOD JOB on the ballasting too!:winki::mrgreen: .
:deano: -Deano

JorgeC

Mar 5, 2007
New York
Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement regarding the ballasting. I took it very slow doing this first section, but I'm going to take it even slower for the rest of the layout. Deano the CNW RS3 was purchased on E-bay about two months ago. The real RS3 was wrecked in a really bad derailment, sent back to ALCO, rebuilt with a 251 engine and the long hod of an RS11. I'm going to be purchasing Caboose Industries ground throws this weekend so I can finish ballasting the railroad in the next week or so.

Have fun,
Jorge

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Jorge:wav: , THANK YOU for the info on that CNW Alco:thumb: , VERY INTERESTING, and an AWESOME engine:thumb::mrgreen: . i use caboose industries ground throws too, they work well:winki: . GOOD LUCK on the ballasting, your off to a GREAT start:thumb: .
:deano: -Deano