Cardstock weathering

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
What is the best way to weather cardstock models? I have nearly completed a corugatted iron goods shed, with the corrugated iron printed on the card. I want to age it and look rusty. I have tried colouring pencils. Nope. they just wont write on the glossy card. I have tried textas. Nope, even before they have dried, and smudged them, to heavy. Any ideas?

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Woodie,
Spray them with dullcoat first then use chaulks (Graphite) then spray again.
cheers
shamus

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
How are y'all building your cardstock structures? Are they kits, or did you make them yourselves? I enjoy building paper models. Most of the structures on my layout are cardstock! I'm interested in know what y'all are up to!

-Rory

justind

Jul 8, 2001
Provo, UT, USA
Dover Publications

The ones I am starting on are Dover Publications models (10 buildings will cost you about $7....I don't think you can beat that). In the Walthers Catalog it is part # 241-23736, a series of old west buildings. They also make a village, farm, several vicrotrian and sea front settings as well I have never built cardstock buildings, so any suggestions from those of you who have built them...what glue do you use, etc etc?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
cardstock models

The cardstock models I use are Ausmodel Kits by LJ models (no website available). They are not your usual 4 walls fold it up and put a roof on. Most are usualy 2 -3 (sometimes 4) A4 sheets of card, that have everything from window/doorframes,steps, guttering, plinth boards, eves, support posts, timber beams, and steel girder support details. Lots of tweezer work and fine cutting scoring and folding to get the little bits on. The Terminus Pub is my first attempt at cardstock structures.
Pub02.JPG

Lots of boo boos on it, but it was my first!

I have a pub similar to this
DunedooPub.JPG

and the four station buildings exactly the same as this

DunedooStation.JPG

yet to build.

The goods shed I am currently building is the same is this. (the one on the left)

SwanHillYard01.JPG

Along with a few other cottages (aint got no pics of protytpes of those yet)

I could scan one or two of them and send them to you via email, if you like.

justind

Jul 8, 2001
Provo, UT, USA
looks great

That pub looks great Woodie, I wouldn't have ever guessed it was cardstock, and I didn't notice any boo-boo's on it??? The Dover Publications buildings are not of that quality, which is good for someone like me with no real model-building skills.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Goods Shed

The goods shed is EXACTLY this. Right to scale. Note the supports holding the verandah up, the air vents, pipes, the "bash" boards etc and the platform are all part of the model. DO US/Canadian models, use exact prototypes like some models here do?

Attachments

• seymourshed.jpg
    seymourshed.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 107

justind

Jul 8, 2001
Provo, UT, USA
somewhat

Occasionally you will find one that is accurate, but for the most part they only settle for being close to accurate. Sometimes they will advertise a specific structure, such as a specific station, and when you compare it, it is only a rough-cut example of the original. I don't usually use the prototype models becuase of this, I go with what I think will look nice in that location (or suits me). Also, it seems the price rises rapidly with the increased realism, which is to be expected I guess. I am not really the person to answer this, as I am a not modeling true prototypes. But I cannot understand what is so hard about making it look like the real thing?

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Wow! I would have never guessed that the pub was a carstock model! And what boo-boos? I didn't see any, but if they were visible, think of them as "character marks." :) Yeah, I'd be delighted to see what you have. My e-mail is in my profile. I'd be happy to send you what I have, too, if you are interested. I created a few simple models using DPM templates that I scaled down from HO to N. Actually, the "kits" are just the four walls. I added the roof and roof details by hand.

-Rory