Cardstock Trebuchet

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by SCEtoAux, Jul 28, 2004.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Sure is a beauty though :)
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Sure is a beauty though :)
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Has anyone built this darn thing? The instructions are shall we say less than stupendous (at least for me) It says length of strint between knots in pouch yet I do not see how the string goes in the pouch. Also on the instructrion sheet there is a round template and what look like ropes are tire treads or something, what are these for? I am thinking its optional wheels or something. Part 29 maybe an axel or something?
    Thanks in advance :)
    Chris
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Has anyone built this darn thing? The instructions are shall we say less than stupendous (at least for me) It says length of strint between knots in pouch yet I do not see how the string goes in the pouch. Also on the instructrion sheet there is a round template and what look like ropes are tire treads or something, what are these for? I am thinking its optional wheels or something. Part 29 maybe an axel or something?
    Thanks in advance :)
    Chris
  5. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

The round template is used to form the pouch. Cut it out, removing the inner part that says "Cut this ring out and use as a stencil" so you have a ring. Trace the ring on the material you will use for the pouch. The knots on the string go like this:

Lay two pieces of over long string side by side and over lapping
    [​IMG]
    Don't get stingy with the string. Leave plenty to work with.

Tie a knot on one side
    [​IMG]
    Note the extra length opposite the knot.

Tie a second knot along the strings equal to the length between the "V's":
    [​IMG]

The loop between the knots is what gets sewn in the pouch material to give it shape. From the instructions: "Cut out paper ring and draw on a piece of thin cloth. Sew string onto cloth, starting with the knots and then half way along loop. The loop of the string should be a little smaller than the inner circle on the cloth which, when hem is sewn down, will form a pouch." Basically you are sewing the string loop to the cloth disc.

Part 29 is the strip of paper that is 15mm(5/8 inch) less in width of the paper clip used to make the hook. The paper is wrapped around the paper clip to appoximately the diameter of the circle shown at "Part 29 Roll paper to this thickness". It is then friction fitted into the end of the throwing arm with the uncovered part of the paper clip sticking out to be used as the hook.

Those are the paper strips that you wrap around the pencils used for axles for the throwing arm and counter-weight bucket. You form paper tubes with them. Cut along the thin solid lines which will give you 6 strips. The lines that look like treads indicate the areas of the tubes that will be concealed by the structural parts of the trebuchet and the areas that stick out. The tubes are the equivalent of bushings and spacers. One way to make sure the pencils rotate smoothly in the paper tubes is to wrap some sticky tape a few times around the pencil, then wrap the paper strips around the sticky tape to form the tubes. Slip the tubes off of the tape, then remove the tape from the pencils. The inside diameter of the paper tube will then be slightly larger than the diameter of the pencils, insuring that the pencil will rotate freely in the paper tube.

I agree with you that the instructions are a bit lacking. A little careful readin' 'n cypherin' will get you through. Heck, even I was able to figure them out.:-D

The trebuchet that results is great. A lot of thought went into the design of the parts. Have fun.:)
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

The round template is used to form the pouch. Cut it out, removing the inner part that says "Cut this ring out and use as a stencil" so you have a ring. Trace the ring on the material you will use for the pouch. The knots on the string go like this:

Lay two pieces of over long string side by side and over lapping
    [​IMG]
    Don't get stingy with the string. Leave plenty to work with.

Tie a knot on one side
    [​IMG]
    Note the extra length opposite the knot.

Tie a second knot along the strings equal to the length between the "V's":
    [​IMG]

The loop between the knots is what gets sewn in the pouch material to give it shape. From the instructions: "Cut out paper ring and draw on a piece of thin cloth. Sew string onto cloth, starting with the knots and then half way along loop. The loop of the string should be a little smaller than the inner circle on the cloth which, when hem is sewn down, will form a pouch." Basically you are sewing the string loop to the cloth disc.

Part 29 is the strip of paper that is 15mm(5/8 inch) less in width of the paper clip used to make the hook. The paper is wrapped around the paper clip to appoximately the diameter of the circle shown at "Part 29 Roll paper to this thickness". It is then friction fitted into the end of the throwing arm with the uncovered part of the paper clip sticking out to be used as the hook.

Those are the paper strips that you wrap around the pencils used for axles for the throwing arm and counter-weight bucket. You form paper tubes with them. Cut along the thin solid lines which will give you 6 strips. The lines that look like treads indicate the areas of the tubes that will be concealed by the structural parts of the trebuchet and the areas that stick out. The tubes are the equivalent of bushings and spacers. One way to make sure the pencils rotate smoothly in the paper tubes is to wrap some sticky tape a few times around the pencil, then wrap the paper strips around the sticky tape to form the tubes. Slip the tubes off of the tape, then remove the tape from the pencils. The inside diameter of the paper tube will then be slightly larger than the diameter of the pencils, insuring that the pencil will rotate freely in the paper tube.

I agree with you that the instructions are a bit lacking. A little careful readin' 'n cypherin' will get you through. Heck, even I was able to figure them out.:-D

The trebuchet that results is great. A lot of thought went into the design of the parts. Have fun.:)
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

What instructions do you have? Must be better than mine. MIne do not talk about any of this. I have two pdf's one with the main parts and the one that shows the distance between knots and template etc. NOthing talks about the strips of paper, using cloth for the template and so on. Mine basically only show numbered pieces. If you have something else can you pm me and let me now? Didn't kow about a paper clip either... I must really be missing something. Thanks for the info though, it will help greatly.
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

What instructions do you have? Must be better than mine. MIne do not talk about any of this. I have two pdf's one with the main parts and the one that shows the distance between knots and template etc. NOthing talks about the strips of paper, using cloth for the template and so on. Mine basically only show numbered pieces. If you have something else can you pm me and let me now? Didn't kow about a paper clip either... I must really be missing something. Thanks for the info though, it will help greatly.
  9. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Sounds like you only have the parts pages. Check your pm. :)
  10. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Sounds like you only have the parts pages. Check your pm. :)
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I got the thing done, however my pouch stinks. Its not deep enough to hold anything. I also used yarn for the string as its all I had around. That seems OK though. Any advice for the pouch? Might have to get my wife to take a stab at it, I was never much good at sewing. I think it might have ended up a bit small too and I wasn't sure how to deal with the excess fabric hanging over the strings by the knots. Looks good otherwise. Can easily fill the weight half full with coins. Used 44 lb paper. Thought that stuff was 67 lb until I just double checked! Gonna hit wal-mart and get some 67 and 110 paper in white and colors I think.
    Chris
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I got the thing done, however my pouch stinks. Its not deep enough to hold anything. I also used yarn for the string as its all I had around. That seems OK though. Any advice for the pouch? Might have to get my wife to take a stab at it, I was never much good at sewing. I think it might have ended up a bit small too and I wasn't sure how to deal with the excess fabric hanging over the strings by the knots. Looks good otherwise. Can easily fill the weight half full with coins. Used 44 lb paper. Thought that stuff was 67 lb until I just double checked! Gonna hit wal-mart and get some 67 and 110 paper in white and colors I think.
    Chris
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Last time I checked Wal Mart, all they had was 110 lb in white and mixed pastels.
    It has been a while since I've been there so who knows.
    I sure hope they do start carrying a lighter stock, it would save me some gas.
    I have to get the 67 lb from a hobby store.
    Just thought I would let you know so you can plan your drive accordingly.
    Darn gas is too expensive to waste!

If they have started carrying lighter card than 110, let us know!

Russell
  14. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Last time I checked Wal Mart, all they had was 110 lb in white and mixed pastels.
    It has been a while since I've been there so who knows.
    I sure hope they do start carrying a lighter stock, it would save me some gas.
    I have to get the 67 lb from a hobby store.
    Just thought I would let you know so you can plan your drive accordingly.
    Darn gas is too expensive to waste!

If they have started carrying lighter card than 110, let us know!

Russell
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I certainly will , but if they didnt before, I wont count on it. I have two big office supply stores and one good hobby shop within 20 minutes drive of my place so I should be able to find something :) If I find deals anywhere else I will let ya know too!
    Chris
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I certainly will , but if they didnt before, I wont count on it. I have two big office supply stores and one good hobby shop within 20 minutes drive of my place so I should be able to find something :) If I find deals anywhere else I will let ya know too!
    Chris
  17. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I used 110lb card. I have to go to an office supply store to get any 67lb card.

I use 70 pennies for the counter weight. Works good.

About the pouch, just keep trying. I used a piece of old t-shirt. After I was satisfied with the size, I trimmed a lot of the excess cloth to make the thing look better.

You could check out the pouch ideas at Ripcord's Tennisball Trebuchet and size them to fit. The links are on the left of the page. I have done that on some of the cardstock trebuchets I have built. Another idea is to make one like is used with Sheila's Trebuchet. Click on the Downloads link at the top to get to the download page. I made a small wooden trebuchet from some plans and decided to make a pouch like Sheila describes to see if it could handle the stresses involved and it works just fine. Modern glues sure are strong. The pouch looks good too.:)
  18. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I used 110lb card. I have to go to an office supply store to get any 67lb card.

I use 70 pennies for the counter weight. Works good.

About the pouch, just keep trying. I used a piece of old t-shirt. After I was satisfied with the size, I trimmed a lot of the excess cloth to make the thing look better.

You could check out the pouch ideas at Ripcord's Tennisball Trebuchet and size them to fit. The links are on the left of the page. I have done that on some of the cardstock trebuchets I have built. Another idea is to make one like is used with Sheila's Trebuchet. Click on the Downloads link at the top to get to the download page. I made a small wooden trebuchet from some plans and decided to make a pouch like Sheila describes to see if it could handle the stresses involved and it works just fine. Modern glues sure are strong. The pouch looks good too.:)
  19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Excellent, just excellent. I hate sewing ;) Thanks!
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Excellent, just excellent. I hate sewing ;) Thanks!