Cardstock Containers

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Over in TrainOrders, one of the regulars has created 48' containers from cardstock; you may have seen his, or others, already. He sent me the template, and I have since created fifty-four of these; many 48', but I also shrunk down the template so I could create 40' containers as well, which is more in keeping with my era. Some are based on prototype; others are fictional/freelance, some even "protolance". I'm posting four pics as examples. In the first pic, there are three plastic containers; the rest are from cardstock. All containers in the wellcars are cardstock.

intermodal-containers.jpg

intermodal-ups.jpg

intermodal-rock1.jpg

intermodal-rock2.jpg

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
Originally posted by rockislandmike
He sent me the template, and I have since created fifty-four of these; many 48', but I also shrunk down the template so I could create 40' containers as well

Mike ... your containers are VERY cool !!! I love them !!!

My yard could really use 20 or 30 of theses ...

About that template ... is it a graphic file ? Posting it here would be very appreciated !! If it is not "computerized" (IE cardboard or paper) ... describe it to us so we can build ours !!

Thanks !!!!

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Mike,

As part of the printinng instructions, How do you "Enlarge the margins to six inches on all sides."........

What does that mean? six inch margins on all sides???? The paper is not that big????? (BTW.... we work in centimetres here.)

Also, the "default" paper size for Word when adjusting the margins?? A4?? Letter??

I'm confused with this bit of the printing instructions.

Hope you can sort me out. :)

Thanks.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Just a couple of tranparent "Gifs" that are local to Australia if you wanna use them. I've been mucking with the template to get some logos etc on it, and it's looking good. :):)

Attachments

• frieghtausttransparent.gif
    frieghtausttransparent.gif
    4 KB · Views: 339

SLUSSERS

Jan 19, 2003
Hershey PA
Visit site
????????
1. What do you print them on ? Plain paper or cardstock?

2. Is there a way to modify the template in order to attach the
ends to the body ?

3. Where do you guys get the logo's like UPS and others?

Here is one I designed. Hope this is right.

Attachments

• ice cream.jpg
    ice cream.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 222

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Woodie, what I would suggest instead of those instructions is to figure out how big the container needs to be for HO scale -- 6.613 inches --- and then make a box in Word (or I used Publisher) to make the size right.

Letter paper definitely.

And I used 110lb cardstock.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Last comment for this morning, if you want to be more prototypical, all container roadnames end in the letter "U" and would be four letters max (including the "U"). Road numbers are also prescribed as well, with the first digit being a "6" for dry vans, followed by a "1" or "2" for 48' units (depends on the era, and this is my recollection only). Then typically another four digits.