CardPlanes (Modele Kartonowe) PWS-10 Pre-Release build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by DavidESP, Jul 17, 2008.

1. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all.

A couple of days ago I received from Lech KoƂodziejski at CardPlane by snail mail a pre-release copy of his latest design, the PWS-10 Chiquita/Pavipollo and he has graciously allowed me to show the build and final pictures.

The model is well designed as all of CardPlane models are. The package consists of 5 sheets of construction diagrams, 2 sheets of formers on 80gsm paper and 4 sheets of parts on 160gsm paper (all A4 size):
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As this is not the release version, the aircraft descriptions and information were not included. The construction diagrams are excellent and very easy to follow. The model has well over 200 parts. The cockpit is extremely detailed and the textures are excellent with weathering. All in all, this looks to be an outstanding kit.

I have started the build process by gluing the 2 sheets of formers/wheels and various other pieces to 0,85 heavy card. The next progress post will show the first cuts and assembly.

Until the next.
  2. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all. The instructions are divided into sections numbered alphabetically. Started section A which is the after fuselage structure. Hera are the parts cut out and assembled:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    the symbols indicate that ** is to be glued to 0.7 to 1.0 mm cardboard. I used 0.85 and I would recommend when this comes out to use closer to 1 mm for a tighter fit of the slots.

Started cutting on section B which is the interior of the cabin. These are the floor and side pieces:
    [​IMG]

May not get much done tomorrow, as we have visitors coming in the afternoon and into the evening. Can't be hiding away in my workroom with guests in the house.

Until next time.
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking forward to more!
    Chris
  4. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all, had a busy weekend between visits and visiting friends and neighbors, but was able to get a bit more of the interior done.

In the last post I had cut out the pieces for the cockpit framework, here is some progress with it. The first shot is the trim pieces for covering the edges, and the next shot is the wire cross braces. The instructions call for thread, but I like the looks of the copper wire:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here's the framework together:
    [​IMG]

The next step is the pilots seat, the first picture shows all of the parts. The small frame in the front of the picture is part of the seat support, the kit provides the pieces in paper, but my fingers do not roll less that 1mm tubes so I made it from wire and painted it. The next 2 pictures are the seat assembled and then in place:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Next are the controls.

Until the next one.
  5. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all.

I finished up the cockpit area with the exception of the machine guns. Here are some shots of the controls in place:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

These are the parts for the instrument panel, forward bulkhead and machine gun supports:
    [​IMG]

And a couple of shots of the cockpit assembled to the aft fuselage section:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Next steps are the machine guns and covering the cockpit and fuselage.

Until the next.
  6. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

Good work thus far, David! I think this one will be a real beauty when completed. I love the Spanish markings, too.

Since you already have a PWS-10 build thread under way, I'm thinking of doing the PWS Z-17 next. At the moment I'm printing out the extra parts and errata sheets. The extra parts allow the building of a detailed cockpit and engine. It will be my first crack at detailing a radial engine.

Cheers!
  7. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Thanks Chris. The Z-17 is an interesting plane as well and with the extra parts pages makes even better. I'll be watching.

David
  8. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all, well yesterday afternoon and evening were well spent, I finished up the machine guns and got the after fuselage covered.

Here's some shots of the parts, one gun completed and a couple of the guns mounted:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The next section of the instructions is covering the aft fuselage, here's the glue strips and cockpit interior cutout and installed:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

These are the skin pieces cutout:
    [​IMG]

The first 2 sections covered:
    [​IMG]

The last 2 sections covered:
    [​IMG]

These are some of the fuselage detail parts cutout and installed:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This afternoon and evening I hope to get the forward fuselage section started.

Until the next one,

David
  9. exzealot

exzealot Member

David,

This looks like a nice kit. The graphics look realistic; especially the horizontal lines on the fuselage sides. Haven't seen too much of CardPlane models, so I am interested to see how this one turns out.

Thanks,

Ken
  10. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Thanks for the comments Ken. The trick for the lines on the fuselage sides and bottom is actually provided, besides the textures on the parts, if you look at the pictures in the first post, the fuselage parts have scoring lines outside of the part, all I did was transfer those lines to the back and score the backside of the parts. The effect is really nice.

Been busy the last couple of days getting ready for a weekend visit of family (when you live next to a beachsign1). Had a few spare minutes while we are waiting for them to arrive so I figured I'd get an update in.

Went to work on the nose section, first as always is cut out the formers. The ones on top are for the nose and the ones on the bottom are for filler pieces that go inside of the nose sections:
    [​IMG]

These are the filler pieces cutout and assembled:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is the first section cutout and assembled:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The second section, in the last picture you can see the filler piece:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Third section with the other filler piece:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The sections assembled and a side view where you can see filler pieces:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Don't know if I'll get anything done this weekend, so until Monday,

David
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking great! Looks like you are doing a great job on pre shaping those parts :)
    Chris
  12. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Didn't get a chance to post an update Monday evening and yesterday with the site down, couldn't post either so this one will be long.

Well after a long but not real relaxing weekend, (family, beach, BBQ,sign1) Monday I got back to work on the model and finished up with the forward section of fuselage.
    The first shots are pieces for fillers in the engine head bulges and installed:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

These are the pieces to cover one of the bulges and then the 3 bulges in place:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

These are air intakes and vents installed, the same on both sides:
    [​IMG]

Here are the 2 sections joined together using my high tech clamping devices:
    [​IMG]

And to finish off this section, a few details, windshield, headrest and cockpit edge pieces:
    [​IMG]

Yesterday I started out on the wings and cutout the formers for the right side wing:
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the dry fitting:
    [​IMG]

And after some minor touch-ups, the glued wing section:
    [​IMG]

Everything so far fits really well. The wings are typical of CardPlane's latest designs, robust and solid. They remind me of the balsa wood and paper planes I built as a kid. Tomorrow I hope to finish up the wing skeletons and start on covering.

Regards
    David
  13. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Just a quick update of the progress on the wings. i finished the opposite wing, no pictures, it is the same. Then cutout the center section formers and glued them together:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

this is the wing internal assembly together and ready to skin:
    [​IMG]

The wing, as I said earlier, is very robust, as almost all of the designs at CardPlane are. You would think that this is a flying model. Next step the skins.

Regards
    David
  14. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all, after a busy weekend, it's time for an update.

Starting out with the parts and center section of the wing covered:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The parts for the rest of the wing coverings and the right side in place:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Some shot of the completed wing ready to be mounted:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

One set of wing struts in parts and assembled:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Three shots of the wing in place:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The assembly was pretty straight forward, although when checking the 3 view drawings after I had the wing glued in place, I noticed that there are some pieces that mount on the fuselage under the wing that will be a real bear to get in place. I give them a try tomorrow.

Regards,
    David
  15. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all, it's been a rather busy week with not much time online, but I did get quite a bit of model building done.

I mentioned the last time, that there are some parts that go on the fuselage under the wing, here are some shots of the small parts:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The next section is the tailplane and tail fin, here's the tailplane process:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And the tail fin:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Both in place:
    [​IMG]

The elevators and rudders are seperate but not movable, here is the rudder:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And an elevator:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The three pieces mounted:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So this message doesn't get to long, I show the next section in another.
  16. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

The next section is the landing gear. It consists of quite a few pieces, some of which are very small tubes.

To start off, the axle:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The pieces for some of the struts. The long thin pieces of paper should be rolled into tubes just under 0.8mm. My fingers just don't work that small so I substituted those with wire, they are covered with the wider long pieces anyway and only one tip is visible. The wire also make attaching the piece to the fuselage easier:
    [​IMG]

I also cut out and glued the wheel pieces together so that the would be good and dry for sanding later:
    [​IMG]

Next are the shock absorbers and a layout of all of the main gear pieces:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Some shots of the main gear structure in place:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The wheels sanded and ready for paint:
    [​IMG]

While the wheels were drying, the cutout, assembly attachment of the tail skid:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Lastly, the landing gear complete:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Not much left now, the radiator, some fuselage detail parts, ailerons and the prop. Hope to finish the up a a couple of days, as I'll be going away for 2 wks on Tues or Wed.

Regards all
    David
  17. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all, the next two messages will be the finish up of this topic.

These are the parts for the radiator, ready for mounting and in place:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Some small fuselage details:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Next up are the ailerons:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Moving on, we have the spinner:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And the pieces for the prop blades:
    [​IMG]

I show the mounted prop and the rest of the final details in the next message.
  18. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

The final product, CardPlanes (Modele Kartonowe) PWS-10 Chiquita.
    [​IMG]

More shots:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This has been a real enjoyable build from an excellent design. The final product will, I'm sure, be well worth looking into. The model requires very exact cutting and lots of pre-fitting prior to applying any glue because the fit of the parts is very precise.

I hope everyone has enjoyed the build and thanks again for the comments received.

Regards,
    David
  19. '57cadillac

'57cadillac New Member

I've only been cardmodelling for a few weeks, and this looks so hard! but my dad says i can make it.
  20. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

There is plenty of free models ranging from the beginner to advanced level so you will always be able to find something suitable - just print and start cutting and I'm sure there will be plenty of people willing to answer any questions you might have :thumb: