Cardboard modeling

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
I was browsing through some old MRR mags last night (something I really enjoy doing -- after not seeing an article for a few years, it's almost like reading a new one -- and the old issues are far more "scratch friendly" than the present day magazines) I ran across a great article on modeling with Strathmore Board, a brand of "cardboard" available at art supply houses.

It's in the February '59 Model Railroader, and authored by one Bill Clauser a professional architectural model builder + model railroader. If anyone wants to read it, but doesn't have access to that issue, I'd be happy to snail-mail fotocopies of the 4 pages to you. E-mail me your mailing address if you want it.

BillS

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I know what you mean about the old mags, Bill!
They have a timeless value for modelers...I often buy old ossues at swap meets & such, because, regardless of the date on the front, the information inside might be brand new to me, & very relavent to something I happen to be working on...
I remember an old article about using strathmore board also...it wasn't quite as far back as the one you mention, maybe late 60's or early 70's...? Anyway, I remember the modeler used strathmore to scratchbuild a highly detailed body for an RDC rail car.
The problem with Strathmore board is, around here anyway, it's at least as expensive as Evergreen sheet styrene.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Cerealboard should be used instead of Strathmore. Now Strathmore was anout 1/16 inch thick if I remember but also came in different thicknesses if you could find a place that sold it.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I too, miss the scratch daze of early MRR magazine. I've gotten rid of all my post 70s mags and concentrate on aquiring any older copies, especially 60s and 70s. I'm with Matthyro, I myself use shirt cardboard. This is the yard office on my B&MC R.R.. It came from plans in a 60s MRR mag and reprinted in the long out of print "Bridges and Buildings for Model Railroads" It's cardboard, masking tape, a round head finishing nail and a hose reel made out of two small brake wheels. The only thing I bought was the light bulb and its shade is just a painted sequin.

Attachments

• shack.jpg
    shack.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 293

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
If you go to a comic book dealer, they have bags and boards for storing the books. You can just buy the boards for about $7 for 100 of them. They measure 7" X 10" and are a very high quality. Some stores sell them individually.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks Matthyro, coming from the Illustrious Potentate of Cardboard, it's a great compliment. Bill, would you happen to have a copy of the June '72 MR? I'm looking for the Model of the Month winner's pictures and story. It's a fascinating model of a 2 foot gauge 0-4-0 Porter in HO. He even built his own motor for the thing, it's just the level of modeling I miss from the good ol' daze.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, I got it today. The last time I saw that article was almost 30 years ago in 1975. It just as beautiful now as it ever was, to bad there just isn't much of that type of modeling anymore. Guess that's why I love this forum and how encouraging it is to me to see folks attempt what they do here.