Cardboard Hopper

Joepomp

I always thought about the old books my dad had which showed scrach builted.

This is mostly cardboard so far execpt for the braces on the sides. Its HO scale I think it looks ok, I will probably need to make a bunch before they look like I want them to. I will post more pics when I finish this one. :eek:

I used Autocad to make the drawings on thick paper, then embosed rivits on the paper, flipeted it over and cut it out. Then I glued the paper to cardboard and the plastic braces to that.

Attachments

• Pictures 070_1.jpg
    Pictures 070_1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Pictures 072_1.jpg
    Pictures 072_1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Pictures 075_1.jpg
    Pictures 075_1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Pictures 076_1.jpg
    Pictures 076_1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Pictures 077_1.jpg
    Pictures 077_1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 71

KCS

Hey! There's an idea. I just might give that a try. I'll have to wait until I get more cardborad and buy all the right tools. I built my first building from cardboard trying to grasp Robin's quality and attention to detail. It's posted in the General forum. That looks good. May not last long but will look good for carboard built.

Joepomp

some assembley required!

Here are some more pics. ;)

Attachments

• Hopper1.JPG
    Hopper1.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 81
  • hopper2.JPG
    hopper2.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 82
  • hopper3.JPG
    hopper3.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 85

Union Pacific

could you post a printout of the hopper dimensions?? I have been looking for ways to save money since I buy quality engines,track,switches, tansformers,etc. I am running alittle low on $$$$ :rolleyes: :D :wave:

Thanx, Ben

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Its cool to return to modeling methods from the old days when equipment was scarce or exensive. I admire the craftsmanship of this project and look forward to updates.
Ralph

C

Catt

I find this thread rather interesting.I am definately looking forward to further postings. :D

I'm truly fascinated with the way your model is turning out. So far you're making an excellent job of it. I've never been averse to using cardstock as a building material and you are proving why it's such a versatile material.

I've tried five times to build rolling stock and am resigned to the fact that I am incapable of making 90 degree joints in anything (sad huh?)

I bet your hopper will be a real beauty when it's done. Bring on the pics!

Errol

Joepomp

Drawings

I hope I can upload these drawings! If not if anyone wants them I can E mail them. I put them in Word, but I drew them in AutoCad. Sorry for the cluttered dimentions, if you can't read them Ill have to seperate the drawings over several pages.

Attachments

• hopper.zip
    56.9 KB · Views: 35

Union Pacific

I was able to download them ok. are the dimensions in HO scale feet or "real" inches??:confused: it looks like real inches but I want to make shure. I want to make a whole unit of them like 100 of them or so :eek: :eek: ;) I can buy couplers and trucks on Ebay in bulk and use a little bit of plastic as a small "frame" to stabilize it and mount the trucks I will post my progress thanks for posting these I need to get cad but I well you know.......... can't afford it:p

Thanx, Ben

Union Pacific

do you think you could design an HO scale bethegon coal porter for me??? that would be cool or tell me where I can get cad as a download or for real cheap

Thanx, Ben