Card Stock Sizes?

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by RichBohlman, Oct 13, 2006.

1. RichBohlman

RichBohlman Railroad Card Modaler

On many card models I've seen such statements as: Glue to Light, Medium, or Heavy card. What sizes are these cards really and where can one buy card stock for models? Thanks - Rich
  2. RichBohlman

On many card models I've seen such statements as: Glue to Light, Medium, or Heavy card. What sizes are these cards really and where can one buy card stock for models? Thanks - Rich
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Good Morning Rich,
    Your up early!
    I believe a light card would fall in around 67lb a medium about 80-90lb and heavy at 110lb. Just to give you a better idea, normal copy paper is about 20-22lb.
    The best place that I have found to buy the 110lb card is Walmart. You can get a pack of 150 sheets for about $5.
    I wish Walmart carried the other wieghts but I have not seen it there yet.
    They do carry white card and a pack of 5 pastel colors though. It's 110 also.
    The lighter cardstock I have had to shop around for deals. Usually I get them at Office Depot and Michael's. Sometimes you can find a good deal at Hobby Lobby.
    I'm not sure what stores are available in your area but shop around at local art and craft supply stores.
    Hope this helps a little.

Russell
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Good Morning Rich,
    Your up early!
    I believe a light card would fall in around 67lb a medium about 80-90lb and heavy at 110lb. Just to give you a better idea, normal copy paper is about 20-22lb.
    The best place that I have found to buy the 110lb card is Walmart. You can get a pack of 150 sheets for about $5.
    I wish Walmart carried the other wieghts but I have not seen it there yet.
    They do carry white card and a pack of 5 pastel colors though. It's 110 also.
    The lighter cardstock I have had to shop around for deals. Usually I get them at Office Depot and Michael's. Sometimes you can find a good deal at Hobby Lobby.
    I'm not sure what stores are available in your area but shop around at local art and craft supply stores.
    Hope this helps a little.

Russell
  5. RichBohlman

All the stores that you stated in your post are in my area.

Yep, it is early - I'm a 911 dispatcher getting ready to go to work.

THANKS - Rich
  6. RichBohlman

All the stores that you stated in your post are in my area.

Yep, it is early - I'm a 911 dispatcher getting ready to go to work.

THANKS - Rich
  7. RichBohlman

I just found a good deal on eBay. 250 sheets of white 110 lb paper stock for $14.00. The price included shipping. Thanks Again - Rich
  8. RichBohlman

I just found a good deal on eBay. 250 sheets of white 110 lb paper stock for $14.00. The price included shipping. Thanks Again - Rich
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

You could have bought 2 packs at Wal Mart for $10 and had 300 sheets and no wait.

Russell
  10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

You could have bought 2 packs at Wal Mart for $10 and had 300 sheets and no wait.

Russell
  11. RichBohlman

12. RichBohlman

13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Rich......... it's even labeled "Card Stock" at Wal-Mart. This is what I use almost exclusively, except when I laminate it to card board like what cereal boxes are made of. The package is wrapped in plastic and keeps very well if stored for a long time.

The only problem I have with the paper is ink bleeding......... but if I set my printer to glossy paper and print at high it doesn't bleed at all, just takes longer to print out:grin:

You may have to experiment with your ptinter setting, I use a Canon i475D printer.

john
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Rich......... it's even labeled "Card Stock" at Wal-Mart. This is what I use almost exclusively, except when I laminate it to card board like what cereal boxes are made of. The package is wrapped in plastic and keeps very well if stored for a long time.

The only problem I have with the paper is ink bleeding......... but if I set my printer to glossy paper and print at high it doesn't bleed at all, just takes longer to print out:grin:

You may have to experiment with your ptinter setting, I use a Canon i475D printer.

john
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I use matte paper heavyweight and set it to best photo quality. Never had bleed problems with that. My guess is using the photo option is key. I do have to make a run to office depot to get some 67 lb though. Could use some more 44 to bt that can wait :) I use an epson stylus photo r220
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I use matte paper heavyweight and set it to best photo quality. Never had bleed problems with that. My guess is using the photo option is key. I do have to make a run to office depot to get some 67 lb though. Could use some more 44 to bt that can wait :) I use an epson stylus photo r220
  17. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Sam's Club has 110lb/199gsm cardstock in a pack of 250 for around $5 US. The price might have gone up a bit since the last time I bought some, but probably not too much.:)

I have to go to Office Depot for 67lb cardstock also.
  18. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Sam's Club has 110lb/199gsm cardstock in a pack of 250 for around $5 US. The price might have gone up a bit since the last time I bought some, but probably not too much.:)

I have to go to Office Depot for 67lb cardstock also.
  19. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

You can get 110lb index stock from Staples for about $12 as well. Buying paper via eBay doesn't seem to make much sense.

Cheers --- Larry
  20. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

You can get 110lb index stock from Staples for about $12 as well. Buying paper via eBay doesn't seem to make much sense.

Cheers --- Larry