card kit pests?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by NULLMOON, Jul 23, 2008.

1. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

ive noticed on a couple of older kits a number of very small insects(about 1.3mm long),light brown ive spotted them before on old books
    they are called book lice they are harmless in small numbers and feed on molds and starchy matirial (glue?)they have done no damage i can see has anyone else had these? they shouldnt bother newer kits as i treat them with acrylic sealant any ideas on how to kill them?

Attached Files:

2. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Step on it. When it's flat scan it and make a 3D design and paper model.

Sorry poor joke.

Cheers JTF
  3. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I have heard of people placing books in a freezer for 4-5 days. The cold and low humidity kills the book lice. The freezer should be at around -18°C/0°F.

Half an hour in an oven at around 83°C/180°F is supposed to work too. This time it would be the heat and low humidity that does them in.

The common factor is the low humidity so maybe lowering the humidity in the area where your card models kits are kept will help control them.

I have used something called diatomaceous earth in the garden for pest control. It coats the bodies of the pests and kills them by drying them out. Maybe it will work on the book lice too.
  4. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

i seem to have them on built kits too there in a cabinet and the humidity is quite low as i use a lot of those silica gel sachets to keep moisture out of my kits would mothballs kill them?
  5. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I realy do not know if mothballs would kill them. I always thought mothballs were used to repel rather than kill. :)
  6. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

7. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I did some checking online about the book lice problem and found the freezer or oven method I heard about was a common practice. A lot of places also mentioned chemical controls with a pesticide containing pyrethrum as a way to get rid of them. So give that spray you have with pyrethrum a try. Spray it on an inconspicuous place first to see what, if anything, it does to the ink and paper. :)
  8. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Be careful with insecticide sprays of all kinds!

Most of the sprays are in a petroleum base and you don't want kerosene on your models!!!! (Or on the glass, if it is a glass case)

Moth balls (or crystals) will keep the bugs away, so who cares whether or not it kills them?

Whatever you choose READ THE LABEL!!!!!!!!!!!! Not many insecticides are meant to be used indoors. Some of them are downright nasty.

For what it's worth [not much, since I retired] I have 33 years behind me as a biology professor, so believe me when I say READ THE LABEL. Some bug sprays are deadly!

Bob
  9. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

I don't know if this would work or not, but, do you think it would be possible to NUKE 'EM? How about a few seconds in the microwave? It may be worth a try, but first, make sure there are no bits of metal attached (staples, wires, etc...)

announce1DISCLAIMER...
    PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS IS ONLY AN IDEA - I HAVE NEVER TRIED ANYTHING LIKE THIS MYSELF. DON'T COME BACK YELLING AT ME IF YOU CATCH SOMETHING ON FIRE. THIS IS ONLY AN IDEA.

If you are brave enough to give it a try I'd love to know if it works.

Regards,
    Kevin
  10. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

sorted:thumb: i found that raid ant and cockroch spray kills them it makes greasy looking marks on paper so i just sprayed it about the cabinet avoiding getting it directly on the the models and closed the door...... after 3 hours all the ones on the models were gone(dead?) i certainly didnt see any movement there still alive in some of the kits but only in the old ones (mainly malay and self printed kits) im going to try a slightly milder version of the heat method, by opening the kits out and standing them on end in the airing cubord for a few days ,hopefully the very dry air will kill them if not its into the microwave:twisted: