car road

Okay, so you know the road is, lets say, 15-feet across, right?
So, you take that 15 real feet and multiply it by 12 to get 180 real Inches. Divide those inches by 160 to reduce to N-scale.

The math looks like this:
15*12=180
180/160=1.125
1.125 inches is how wide a 15-foot road is going to be in N-scale...make sense?
AR

jimbob005

Nov 26, 2005
ok thanks for you help i can carry on now for a bit till i have to stop and wait for things to come

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Hi, This info is from an American perspective. The width of car axles is approximately the same as the width of your rails (true in Ngauge, or HO, or S, or O, or G). A one lane country dirt road is approximately (as a minimum) the width of your track and ties. A two lane country dirt road is about the width of two tracks (ties) laid side by side. That two lane road paved would be about three tracks (ties) wide. Four lanes of paved road, highway or city would be about 5 or 6 tracks wide. In your country, I would think the roads would be closer to the minimum in most places, with the vehicles being more narrow than over here.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Just to add my one and a half cents here (I've been told I never had enough sense to make two) :rolleyes: but on an N scale layout, if you start making roads as wide as they should be, they're going to look a bit out of proportion. If you look at my "layout party" challenge (click here), I just finished putting in some roads and streets. I made the main road almost 2 1/2" (32') to allow for two-way on-street parking, and actual road would have to be at least 40'. Main St is 2" (about 27") and hope I can park on one side of the street :D, and the smaller streets are 1 1/2" (20"), no parking allowed. That was just a judment call, but it looked right and didn't take up so much room that I didn't have space for structures.

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
Measuring in N scale

As Jimbob005 is in the UK, he'll need to bear in mind that N scale is to a slightly different ration than in the US: it's usually worked out as 1:148 rather than 1:160. If you're happy with using mm, then an easy rough equivalence is that 2mm is equivalent to one foot.

Good luck:)