car coupler cable hitting switch

Scoobie

Feb 21, 2006
Circle Pines, Minnesota
Hi all, I have a athreans car that is hitting a switch on my layout. The cable that hangs down under the coupler hits the switch. I've looked & looked and I can't figure out why. I thought about snipping the cable shorter, but I thought I should ask the experts first. I have bachmann EZ track on the layout. It doesn't hit any other switches. I've looked at the switch in seems ok. It gets hung up when backing up. Would be ok to snip the cable. :confused:
Scoobie

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
There's a tool you can use to bend the "hose" if it's too low, it looks like a pair of needle-nose pliers but one jaw is rounded out and the other is rounded in. I bought mine at a flea market, I think Kadee sells a set too.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You can get a Kadee coupler height gauge to check that the entire coupler is at the right height. Then if necessary you can bend the "hose" up or down as needed.

If you uncouple by hand (instead of using the magnets that go between or under the track) then you do not need this "hose" and it can be cut off.

Andrew

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Are these Athearn 40' boxcars?

Many of the 40 footers ride low for Kadee couplers. I have done two things to correct them:
1.) Change the 33" wheels to 36" wheels.
2. Add two red 0.015 inch thick Kadee washers to the bloster. This will raise the car and may make it look like it is riding high.

I have also had some Athearn 2-bay hoppers, and 50' gondolas also run low. The above methods work on them also.