Canyon Mt. N-gineers Photos (I hope)

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by upguy, Sep 21, 2001.

1. upguy

upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

One last shot of the work area from a little farther back. (If I got the right picture.)

I am primarily using styrofoam here because much of this area on the layout must be removable for cleaning track and retreaving trains which may get stuck in the upper portion of the helix.

Attached Files:

2. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Looking great upguy, boy I envy the space you have to work with! :cool:
  3. Bob Collins

Bob Collins Active Member

Certainly no reason to fault your pictures upguy. They look absolutely great to me. Boy, my UPRR DD-40 sure would look great on that layout. It would be right at home!

Please keep those great pix coming.

Bob
  4. upguy

A little more mountain building done today.

Attached Files:

5. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Upguy,

The telocaset module using styrofoam for the cutting, looks very effective. just add a thin coat of plaster to the top surface to give it a little more body. Otherwise, great modelling. Nice photo's also.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]
  6. Bob Collins

upguy;

I seem to recall this is N gauge, correct? How thick is the styrofoam, 2"?

Bob
  7. upguy

Bob,

The foam thickness varies from 1/2" to maybe 1 1/2". I am using scraps and pieces whenever possible. It would be much easier to use a standard size and type, but I'm trying to be environmentally friendly by recycling all this odd shaped styrofoam.
  8. Bob Collins

I too have lots and lots of scrap piece of foam I am saving for that day when I get seriously into scenery. I am very interested to see how yours looks when completed as I may want to use a portion of my layout to achieve the same effect.

One of the things a really likje about the way you have done some of yours is with the apparent overhang. What a great place to change coloe or hue to reflect the exposed, layered rock formations.

Great job.

Bob
  9. upguy

Here is a helicopter view of the work in progress. You can see how the track winds around behind and underneath the foam next to the backdrop. The flat-topped portion visible in the picture will be removable and no longer flat when it is finished.

I have found that most of the foam forms are difficult to fit together, but with some of the voids placed strategically they work okay for tunnel supports. :D

Attached Files:

10. upguy

Well, the styrofoam now has a coating of plaster and the mountain is almost ready for painting. I'll probably do a little more plaster here and there to attempt to get everything just so..., but for the most part it is pretty much as it will be.

Yes, Bob, this is N-scale.

Attached Files:

11. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

looks good upguy keep the pics coming:p rich
  12. upguy

Looks like it won't be too long before I can start ballasting the track.

Attached Files:

13. Bob Collins

upguy;

It's like you are leading me through the process. I sure will keep this thread at hand when I get ready to begin with my scenery. Looks great. The pix are terrific too.

Bob
  14. upguy

Can you tell what I did today?

Spring has come! The snow has melted and we can see the ground underneath. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

15. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

the blizzards over :D rich
  16. upguy

Well, today I was able to spend some time painting the scenery. First of all, I started painting the backdrop (1/2" styrofoam) which will be behind the foreground mountains. This was primarily to get the feel of working with the paint, and it was the logical place to start because once the foreground hills are finished I won't be wanting to try to climb over it to get to the background.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. upguy

Unfortunately. the background painting was mostly for practice because (except for a small part of it) it will be out of sight. Here is a closer look at a portion of the work. Isn't it satisfying to know that the scenery is done even behind the mountain. :D

Attached Files:

18. upguy

Six hours later this is the way it looked! Things are beginning to take shape although it still has quite a ways to go.

Attached Files:

19. upguy

I guess I should clarify that the six hours spent painting was for all the background and foreground hills--everything necessary to change the brown hills and background to what you see now. It actually seemed to go quite fast.

Here is another shot of the work train coming out of the canyon.

Attached Files:

20. upguy

Comparing this picture to the picture at the top of this page and pictures on previous pages, probably shows the construction progress better. It is sometimes difficult for me to remember just which picture best presents what I am trying to show.... I hope this one does it. ;)

Attached Files: