Canyon Mt. N-gineers Photos (I hope)

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by upguy, Sep 21, 2001.

1. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

I hadn't taken it that way upguy, I had reread the flow from the beginning and realised I should have started a new thread.:) that way any newbies could have gone directly to it as a hint or tip.
    Also I see you had your work cut out for you with that great looking ceiling you just installed. Just wish I had that kind of space! :( :(

Errol
  2. upguy

upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

You want space? Look at all the room I still have to finish and fill with trains! I tell you...I need help! This is a great place to spend your retirement playing with trains.

Attached Files:

3. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Hahahahaha.... Rolling on the floor here!!!:D :D

Courage alone is not enough!!!!!:D
    (I've been there... NEVER again):)

Errol
  4. Bob Collins

Bob Collins Active Member

upguy

Seeing what you are doing to transform the room makes me realize that I probably acted in haste when I made the decision not to worry about finishing out the room before I started on my layout. I imagine I will eventually paint the walls (currently bare concrete), but will probably leave the ceiling unfinished. The one other thing I wonder about what I am going to do is about lighting and have about decided I will use some sort of trac lighting along the long axis edges of the layout. I guess I will need to create an additional electric outlet or two before it is all done too.

Bob
  5. upguy

Bob,

Starting the layout before finishing the room is probably the most common mistake that people make when building their first layout. (And for some people even their next several layouts.) Just check out my website for my HO layout and look at the walls and ceiling--they're still not finished. On the positive side, the layout is all modular and could be moved if I wanted to; but, just the same, it is a fact that I am guilty of the same mistake on more than one occasion.

http://canyonmtngineers.homestead.com

I even started the N-scale layout before having the room ready, but my self control is trying to assert itself now; and I am making an attempt at doing things right--time will tell. I'll tell you this much--the trains do not run well with all the dirt from construction settling all over.

Time to find a picture to attach.... Just a shot across the room at the digital camera backdrop that I made. It looks pretty convincing from the distance.

Attached Files:

6. Bob Collins

upguy

I guess one of the major differences that would set our layouts apart and possibly influence what and when you dealt with the room itself is that my layout is freestanding. I can walk completely around it with the closest wall being on one of the short sides (10') and where it is 24" from the wall to the edge of the layout. I don't doubt at all that if I had decided to build a layout that was to touch the walls I would have prepared them in some manner. I still plan to paint the walls some lighter color in order to lighten up the entire area. I think doing that will also cut down on the amount of wattage needed to properly light the area to operate.

Bob

Bob
  7. upguy

Well, the drop ceiling hardware is installed. The lights are in and most of the acoustical tiles are in place. We had a rain and a few leaks have presented evidence that another problem has to be addressed; but, for now, I can spend a little time on the layout.

Today I got the backdrop by the Telocaset module painted. I started to paint the mountain, but decided that it would have to wait until the syrofoam was covered with plaster. That left the mountain looking like it had a dusting of snow, but it will melt shortly.

This next weekend GATS will be in Portland, Oregon; so I expect to take a break from work on the layout until later this month. I think that by then I may have some more helpers working on the project. I think someone in these forums has said something like, build a layout and they will come. I guess I'll see if that is true or not.

Attached Files:

8. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Bob,
    Your comment on 1-28-2002, you said you might leave the ceiling unfinished. I don't know how far along construction is, but if people will walk around on the floor above the layout, you might be better off finishing a ceiling above the layout. It would help keep everything cleaner. It's amazing how much dust and dirt works its way through carpet,floor,and subfloor, and ends up on mountains, trees, and track.
    Pete
  9. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Nice job on the mountain, upguy. Glad to see that things are coming along!

-Rory
  10. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Hi upguy!
    Looks like you're progressing nicely!
    I really envy that big space you have!:p
    It's really shaping up to be a fine looking layout!:cool:
    I'm really enjoying watching the transformation from bare walls to RR empire!
    Keep thosre updates coming!
  11. Bob Collins

upguy;

How about calling it Gingerbread Mountain.... that's what it looks like to me, or maybe it's getting too close to dinnertime for me to be looking at pictures like that:D :D

Looks great from here in Missouri

:rolleyes:

Bob
  12. upguy

It has been a while since I posted, so I thought I would attach a few photos that I took today. I have been working on some houses that I plan to put in Telocaset (by the gingerbread mountain). We'll see how these turned out.

Attached Files:

13. Bob Collins

Yeah......upguy is back on the air and with a great picture. Like the mountain, but really love that UPRR power.

Glad to have you back up and running. Please keep the pictures coming! Still think the late bovine pixs is one of the better ones posted on the Gauge:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bob
  14. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Nice looking houses, upguy! That's a very natural looking scene!

-Rory
  15. upguy

Thanks for the nice comments as always. I was going to post some more pictures right away, but I had to go pick up my daughter. After a stop at McDonald's I'm back. **burp**

I made the houses in the first picture from the Reese Street Row Houses kit from Grandt Line Products. The kit is supposed to only make three houses, but with a few scraps from some other kits I managed five.

Here is another shot that I took today.

Attached Files:

• ugg1.jpg
      ugg1.jpg
      File size:
      33.3 KB
      Views:
  16. upguy

These pictures are not as clear as I would like. I don't get much depth of field with this digital camera. But it does come in handy when the background clutter would otherwise detract from the scene. (Maybe if I knew how to set the f-stop I could make it better, but who has time to read instructions?) I guess you will just have to suffer along with me! :rolleyes:

This is a picture of the Telocaset module from the other direction. The Union Pacific often uses the Telocaset siding as a place to park the work train.

Attached Files:

17. upguy

Actually, very little has been done to the layout yet when it comes to scenery! I love the way I can disguise how incomplete the layout scenery really is by carefully selecting the angles for a picture. My out-of-focus pictures of the styrofoam mountain actually make quite a convincing early spring (late winter?) scene. ;) Someday I may even get around to modeling summer in eastern Oregon. :D

Another picture...King Midas Flour mill behind UP3312. (Kato SD40-2)

Attached Files:

• kgm1.jpg
      kgm1.jpg
      File size:
      31.7 KB
      Views:
  18. upguy

Well, I finally got an opportunity to work on the layout some today! Today's activity was adding on to the gingerbread mountain and developing the beginning of Government Gulch (the canyon between Telocaset and North Powder, Oregon). Government Gulch is represented by the helix between the two levels on my railroad. The scenery is being built out of styrofoam (in case there was any doubt). :D

Attached Files:

19. upguy

East of Telocaset the Union Pacific's mainline disappears for quite some time (five to eight miles--I think) once they enter Government Gulch (I believe that is the proper name for this locale), and they do not reappear until almost to North Powder. This makes for a nice transition between levels on the layout.

This picture is of the same module, but looking more straight on....

Attached Files:

20. upguy

This is the same module (Telocaset) with a view from the opposite direction.

Attached Files: