Canyon Mt. N-gineers Photos (I hope)

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by upguy, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Bob Collins

Bob Collins Active Member

I am listening to what you say about the various kinds of systems you use to build scenery. I have considered and may use some of the Woodland Scenics plaster rolls and see if I'm smart enough to use it. Have a friend here who I met recently at our newly forming train club and he apparently uses some sort of rubber/plastic molds to cast his plaster scenery.

Sounds like lots of choices and I imagine when I get ready to begin that part of the layout I'll find that some combination of many of them is what I will use.

I've got to get my rewiring completed first and I have not had the time to mess with it at all the last couple of weeks. Hopefully things will slow down a bit next week and I can make some progress. I am going back before I get any farther into it and putting in more blocks into my mainline areas. Am doing it partly because I have two big loops and it seems like it will all work better with better block controls. Get that done and lay the track in the yards and I'll be ready to start talking scenery with all you experts!!
  2. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Snow Scene

Styrofoam sure does make a mess, unless you are modelling winter snow scenes right through the house! I'ts a great base however for hills and stuff.
    Look forward to seeing the results. :cool:
  3. upguy

upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

Here is the latest picture of the Telocaset Module. I decided to remove the view divider that was located behind the the module and to try another approach. Yesterday I removed the obstacle and attempted to leave more of the S-curve in view. I am now rebuilding and rethinking how to better the scenic possibilites in this area of the layout. (You can see that the yard at Enterprise is visible again. The old view block is still visible in some of the previous photos in this thread.)

Attached Files:

4. Bob Collins

Looks great to me. I guess I like the layout open, the more open the better. Am curious about the right side of your "glacier." Do you have it square cut so you can scene it with a quarry?

Bob
  5. upguy

That's where the ice plant and the icing platforms will be going. :D Actually, it is just the unfinished portion where I quit work.

That is an interesting idea about the rock quarry though. I do need to place one somewhere on the layout, but there isn't one at Telocaset. (There might be before I am done though.) I'm not sure just yet, how far to stray from the prototype. Since I am more interested in operations than in prototype modeling perfection, it may still be a possibility.

Since I have posted again, here is another picture from the other direction. (a bit dark, but perhaps of some value) I hate to waste an oportunity to attach a photo. :D

Attached Files:

6. Bob Collins

So are we looking at a river or lake at the base of the "glacier?" I have done nothing to this point to address water. I think I see where it will work, but until all the track is laid and wired I refuse to speculate yet:confused:

My original plan called for a lake, but the longer I looked at it the less I liked it, so I'm going to put in a couple of spurs in that area. One will probably have a small grain elevator, much like yours and I haven't given a lot of thought to the other one yet, possibly a two bay diesel shed.

It is suppose to turn COLD here later this week, so I imagine I'll be spending more time inside getting those yards and spurs in place:D

Bob
  7. upguy

I am not sure at this point whether there will be water in the low area or just a dry gully. It may depend on how the module connects to the layout on the left. Trying to make the benchwork and the scenery compatible can be challenging. Things don't always work out the way envisioned.:rolleyes:
  8. Bob Collins

upguy;

Just curious whether or not the small gray elevator you show on your layout is scratch built or a kit? If it is a kit would you kindly share the "brand" name with me. I'm looking to buy one as I think an elevator will give me some excellent perceptions about height as well as width and depth.

Am still trying to figure out which passenger station I want. Have even moved where I'm going to put it thinking that might help me decide. So far the light bulb still hasn't come on:D Part of my problem is that I still haven't completely decided on a time frame for my layout. Love steam, but have aquired a half dozen diesels from various folks who don't railroad anymore.

Bob
  9. upguy

Bob,

The grain elevator that you are referring to is a Walther's kit. Mine is the N-scale kit, but I believe that the same kit is offered in HO. It is called the Farmer's Co-op rural grain elevator in my N-scale catalog, so it probably has the same name in the HO version. It comes molded in red plastic originally.

I purchased mine on eBay and it needed some reworking. There were some glue globs and defects that needed to be covered, so after fixing it up the best I could I painted it the gray that you see. It wasn't that bad a deal since I only paid about half of retail, and I rather enjoy fixing other people's mistakes. That way if someone doesn't like the way something looks I can always say someone else did it. :rolleyes: And, of course, if it looks good I can also say I fixed it! :D
  10. Bob Collins

Thanks upguy. I found it in the Walther's Catalog. There are actually two of them that appeal to me, the one you have and another that is the "Valley Growers Association" that comes gray. I'll flip a coin to see which I get:D

Bob
  11. upguy

Hey, Bob. Which of the grain elevators did you get? Are they built yet? If they are... how about a picture?
  12. Bob Collins

I got the gray "Valley Growers Association" one. It is still in the box. I am still trying to get the rest of the track work done, along with the associated wiring. I have to finish up the main yard and put in a spur. I will then decide whether or not to take out one of the original areas of track I laid as I'm not really satisfied with it now that I am "better" at laying it after putting down almost 170 feet of it. i have wiring dangling everywhere. It is all labeled, etc, but I need to bring it to the control panel which doesn't exist yet. Need to buy the parts (switches, etc. and get them soldered and put into place)

Have spent literally zero time on the layout lately with a number of other things to do. Hopefully I can get back to it right after the first of the year. Too much other stuff on my plate right now. Will head off Friday for 5-6 days with grandchildren to have Christmas with them. Know that the five year olds (twins) have bought me the UPRR Oscar and Piker set which ought to be really cool to pull behind my grey UPRR 0-6-0:cool: If Santa read my list carefully there ought to be a Dremel under the tree too which will come in very handy.

The family has said it was really easy to buy for me this Christmas. I just gave them the Walther Catalog(ue) with lots of page corners turned down and said anything marked on those oages will be just great.

Bob
  13. upguy

I just thought that I would give an update on the status of the view blocking backdrop that was built, removed, and is now reinstated with a new look. It has been built just a little further back from the front edge of the layout, so a little more of the S-curve will be visible and accessable.

Attached Files:

14. upguy

This angle give a little better view of the track behind the scenery.

Attached Files:

15. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Hi Bob & UPGUY,
    I know the last thread in here is quite old but I wanted to mention an alternative to using your hacksaw on styrofoam.
    There is on the market a battery fed "hot wire" styrofoam cutter but the battery doesn't last long. Fundamentally, it is an insulated "U" shape like a fretsaw frame with the wire across the open end. As the length of the wire determines how thick a piece of styro can be cut, I found it to be too short with a limited depth ou the "U".

I decided to build my own. Cost about $2 and works a real treat. If your interested I can post a foto with dims and details.

In any case, I agree with your method of making scenery UPGUY, but just think of the reduction in hassle from your better half when you complete your next area withous styro chips all over your clothes! ...:rolleyes: :D

Oh, almost forgot (shame on me)... I visited your site, great work you're doing there. Wish I had that amount of space for my RR.

kettlestack
  16. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Hi again guys,

Couldn't resist it!, just took the photos I mentioned because I really must try out getting pics into my posts :p

Well, here's the details of the Styrofoam cutter. Great thing about it is it's sturdy enough to be held in a Black and Decker "Workmate" bench with the hotwire vertical. That way you have absolute control over the contour to be cut.

The tungsten wire I used was 0.024" dia (I've lost my wire gauge tables):eek: .... it gets hot enough with 3 volts applied and the current is about 2 Amps. If thinner wire is used then less current will be drawn but a battterycharger set to 6 volts could be used to power it. I'm fortunate enough to have a variable power supply.

I Imagine you can obtain tungsten wire from a hardware store.

kettlestack

Attached Files:

17. upguy

Styrofoam mess is the least of my worries for a while. The layout has been cleared of rolling stock and engines. The last few work sessions were spent installing the drop ceiling and the new lighting. When I get done, it should start to look like a real layout room should.
  18. upguy

Somehow I wiped out the attachment to the previous post, so I'll try again.

Attached Files:

19. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

My apologies for butting in.
  20. upguy

Sorry, if anyone got the impression that your styrofoam cutter idea wasn't appreciated. I just meant that my priorities have changed in the short run. I'll be back to scenery once I get the room construction and resulting mess from that activity out of the way. Don't be put off by what you thought was disinterest by me because, even if it were disinterest on my part (which it wasn't); there are still many other individuals that have read and will read these posts, and will benefit by your idea. :) Constructive comments are always appreciated, and I don't think that you were "butting in" at all. If you call your comment "butting in" there wouldn't be a need for any forums. :D

By the way, I'm not a rivet counter either.