Can't place it...

Sir_Prize

Here's a Rail bridge pic from my vacation back in Sept. Can't figure out it's name.;) :p :rolleyes:

Attachments

• trip23.jpg
    trip23.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 145

Vic

Hey Ken, Cant tell if its steel or concerete from the photo but its built along the line of a decked girder or plate bridge. Maybe one or the other "fills the bill":D Round here if they are made of concrete they call them viaducts or overpasses.

He, he...:D
I didn't get it either until you posted the close up, wise guy...;)

So, where is it really? We have a thread burried elsewhere (in the Rock Island Roster thread I believe) where we started posting surviving Rock Island bridges. I think you should repost it there so the "Rock heads" can enjoy it...:rolleyes:

Tom F

kf4jqd

Thanks for the pic!

The Rock still lives! Thanks for the picture. I added it to my Rock Island Picture collection! :D

Andy

kf4jqd

One more thing!!!!

I have a video of The Rock Island. In it, they said the Rock Island spent millions of dollars in building bridges. Alot of them are still in use today.

Andy

Like the turning bridge that links Rock Island, Illinois to Davenport, Iowa

Attachments

• ribridge1_web.jpg
    ribridge1_web.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 74

Sir_Prize

Well I think the one I shot is still working.
For Industerial purposes only, I think.
It's in lower Oklahoma City; near the State Fairgrounds.
Didn't have any schedules, scanners, or any other Railfan things.
My first outtings leaning into Rainfan. :rolleyes:

kf4jqd

My Hometown!

This bridge is located at Lock and Damn #14 on the Mississippi River. There is a visitors center to see it. That is where this picture was taken. You need to get to the Rock Island Arsenel to get to the center.

History of the bridge.
When Abe Lincoln was still a small lawyer in Illinois, The Rock Isand wanted to build a bridge across the Mississippi. During those days, the river boats had the power. (Like Microsoft does today)
Abe won the case for the Rock. This bridge has been modified over the 100+ years of its life. The trains ride above. Cars and Trucks drives under the tracks. Plus you can walk over it!

Personal history:
When I was in 4th Grade. My class took a field trip to the dam and saw a man jump off that bridge. Not something for a youngster to see.

Andy
Andy

Hey Andy, is that the one the riverboat captains had "rammed" (um, I mean accidentally rammed) to take it out? I seem to remember Abe being involved in that.

Tom F

kf4jqd

Good question

That's a good question. I don't remember. I do remember the story! I will have to get back on that one.

Andy