Candy green T-Bird

JimZ

Img00025.jpg This snap kit was a practice paint bed for candy finishing using my airbrush.
The paint was on clearance at Wal-Mart for 99 cents, regular 7.99. It's a 3 part system used for motorcycle helmets. The finish is nice but a bit too thick. The details get flooded and makes it a pain to metal foil. I'll stick with Testors lacquer.

Attachments

• Img00021.jpg
    Img00021.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Img00022.jpg
    Img00022.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Img00023.jpg
    Img00023.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 20
  • Img00024.jpg
    Img00024.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 17

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Nice T-Bird... another source of colors for cars is the Nail Polish isle... most of the nail polish formulas are lacquer based and can be decanted and thinned with lacquer thinner then shot thru an airbrush.

JimZ

Nice T-Bird... another source of colors for cars is the Nail Polish isle... most of the nail polish formulas are lacquer based and can be decanted and thinned with lacquer thinner then shot thru an airbrush.
Thanks for the tip and, yes, I have used NP before. My wife is an Avon Lady and she got me some really cool metalliac ones.
I tried thinning with Acetone but it attacks the plastic and crazes. I found the best thing to use is Testors metalizer thinner.

See my next post for the results.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That paint job came out really really good. Impressive! :)

micahrogers

Staff member
I tried thinning with Acetone but it attacks the plastic and crazes. I found the best thing to use is Testors metalizer thinner.

See my next post for the results.

Testors Metallizer Thinner is a weak lacquer thinner, and it should work well with lacquer nail polishes... Acetone can actually be used as a liquid welder for some of the softer styrene formulations.

micahrogers

Staff member
and I forgot to tell you what a great job you did on the bright work... thumbsup

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I'd have to darken the spaces in the grill with some dark flat black. It would really set the car off and take away the 'Hot Wheels" look. The rest of the car is perfect.:)