Canal Streetcar-New Orleans

:thumb: The long awaited new streetcar line is in operation. After having been removed in 1964 the 40 year old mistake is finally over. On Sunday, at 3 o'clock in the morning, over 200 people of all kinds and for all reasons, crowded aboard the first 4 regularly scheduled cars as they left the Canal Street carbarn. Today is the first full day of operation for that line. I took a walk at lunch to see them first hand, and I can tell that this will make a huge difference in the vitality of our central business district and beyond. Three cheers for the new red and yellow streetcars on the Canal Street belt!

Attachments

• canal.jpg
    canal.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 122

Duckman

Nov 22, 2002
Whitby Ontario
Visit site
It,s nice to see that an important part of railroad history was back up and running after 40 yrs. we have to keep the old times alive for the next generation. Thanks to all who help correct this 40 yr. mistake & by the way, Nice Pic!!! Duckman :thumb:

Unfortunately, I only remember the green paint jobs. Ron, is the red and cream color original to the NOPSI cars? Oh, my favorite bus line in NOLA? Hmmmmm....Magazine Steet? Tulane Avenue (and Nick's Big Train Bar!)? I think that my favorite bus route has always been Elysian Fields Ave. Nice ride from the Lakefront to the Quarter. I used to live on the corner of St. Charles and Napoleon and remember the rattle and clank of the streetcar going by on a lazy summer morning. Those are good memories of my days in New Orleans! :thumb: :cool: :) :D

Russ :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Russ,

I did'nt grow up in that area but ours were just about the same color. I was born in a small town in Pennsylvania and that was the only way to get into the city. Lots of folks in those days did'nt have a car so the trolleys were well used. I was 10 years old when they made there last run and they got us out of school just to watch it make its last run. It was a decorated up with flowers and was quite a thing to see. I offen thing about them as I have a lot of memeries riding one with my mother.

Ron :wave: :thumb: