Canadian National Diesels???

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I've been searching for a current CN diesel...almost any type, in N Scale...but can't seem to find any. What's going on with this railroad and does anyone know why there doesn't seem to be too many engines available? Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places...I've checked Walthers, LifeLike, Atlas and a few others but haven't found a single one.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Atlas is bringing out an SD75 in CN laster this year. I don't know how good they will be, but they are going to be DCC ready and have a split metal frame. Kato has made some CN engines, but like almost everything else they make, when they are sold out, that's it! You might have to get them custom painted if you really want them.

C

Catt

My favorite local pusher has a pair of KATO SD40-2s in CN sublettered for the Grand Trunk.I have no idea what he wants for them,but would be happy to find out for you or I can supply you with his name and phone number.I am in Michigan.

By the way,I 've heard a rumor that KATO is going to do CN SD40-2s sublettered for IC.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I always thought they had some good lookin' engines...but I never did know why they had that black and white hash markings? I'll be looking for them to come out on the market.

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
Check E-Bay.

They surface from time to time, narrow your search down to N scale and the check what Kato products are available.

Micro-Trains seems to have been releasing some CN Boxcars recently.

Mike,

Athearn is the one thats bringing out the SD7x series....i believe the CN ones are SD75I.

Kato released CN SD40-2s in the past, and usually command a high price in EBay. They have announced CN SD40-2's for a rerun, this time sublettered for IC. They're due out between August and January (exact date unknown right now)

Lifelike Canada has done Chopnose GP9s in CN. Atlas did a CN C630, as well as older GP9's . Lifelike did the SW9/1200. I believe Kato also did the C-44-9W in CN.

Hope this helps,
Later
AR

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Thank you guys...

I'm looking forward to adding one to my layout and will check out ebay and the others sources you all mentioned. (Sort of leery about ebay...since you don't really know what you're buying). Although I'm sure some of the bidders are retail establishments with first rate stuff.

Thanks again.

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I've been building up my collection of CN diesels for my beginner's layout. So far I have 2 Life Like GP9RM's... they come in 3 different schemes with six possible road numbers... so there is some flexibility there. Only downside is that they come with rapido couplers that you'll need to replace. I also have a Kato SD40-2, which runs beautifully, and it's numbered and lettered for Illinois Central and has the CN north america scheme... No wide-cab modifications on this one. I just acquired via Ebay a Kato C44-9W... it also has rapido couplers... so I'll be replacing those shortly... at the moment it is my pride and joy because they're so hard to come by.

My goal at this point is to collect a few more GP9RM's, as well as investing in 2-3 of the new Athearn SD75I's when they come out. I just don't know how they will compare quality-wise to the Kato or even the Atlas ones.

Now, I am trying to keep pretty modern with my CN fleet... I think there are older GP40s available... plus newer Alco models as well... Those questions I can't answer.