Canada Malting

spitfire

Today I paid a visit to Oleson Worland, the architecture firm that was commissioned by the city of Toronto to do a feasibility study on this venerable old grain silo complex and malting plant. My goal was to get a set of plans for the purpose of scratchbuilding the stucture.

Imagine being able to call up a total stranger and ask him to let you have a copy of his blueprints because you're building a model! Amazing. In talking to him it became clear that we both love this old building, and perhaps that's why he was so willing to help me out with my project.

Anyway, I now have a reduced set of plans in my hot little hands! Whoooohooo!

I picked Canada Malting partially because, as grain elevators go, it's a pretty small one. Even so it will be 28" tall with a 42"x13" footprint in HO. I may build it to 1:100 scale instead of 1:87 - still thinking about my options.

here is one of many shots I've been collecting of the plant in it's heyday

cheers
Val

Attachments

• archiveb.jpg
    archiveb.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 199

spitfire

This is called the "marine leg" for unloading the grain from ships. It's going to be the most challenging part of the model I think.

Attachments

• marineleg.jpg
    marineleg.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 191

spitfire

My next step is a trip to the Toronto Harbour Commission archives on Tuesday to take a look at some more historical photo's, hoping to see how the track figured in to the complex, as I know there were shipments by train as well.

Isn't this a great old building?

cheers
:D Val

interurban

HE HE HE a piece of cake Val:D
Bet ya got it built soon bet ya.

Seriously.
Take your time Val as that will be one nice piece of history saved at least on one model.;)
AND you have the clouds already waiting.:p

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Val, your initiative pays off. Good for you. Now I only have one thing to ask because I have room at the harbour for my layout to build what you are going to do, but mine will be N gauge.
What are the chances for getting a set of those plans from you.:D :D :D

Clerk

Val. What an accomplishment getting those plans. I guess that is called "Taking the bull by the horns". Keep us posted on your progress.

Blake

That is quite a cool building Val. I like the fact that you go on these trips to gather info. Sometimes that is almost as fun as building, don't you think?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Val,
I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with this structure and the water front scene! You do quality modelling so I know its going to make for some great pics!
Ralph

Pooh Bah
Val:
I can see the structure starting with 11 to 15 tubes of Pringles. ;)
(I switched an industry last week that consists of 3 Pringles tubes.)

spitfire

Robin, I'll be happy to send you copies of the plans. You have my email addy so just let me know what your snail mail address is and I can send you some photocopies. I bet you get yours done before I even get started!

Blake, you're right, researching can be a lot of fun. I haven't done a lot of real-world research, mostly online, but what I have done has put me in contact with some very interesting and genuinely helpful people. Something I'm learning about modelling is that it is a real door-opener - and that's very cool!

Chris, Dick and Ralph, thanks for the compliments! Chris - you overestimate me!!

David - do you happen to have a diameter for those Pringles tubes?:D :D :D

Long live Canada Malting. Cheers all!
Val

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Val,

Looks like you have your work cut out for you!

Is this the silo complex that will be converted to Metronome Canada? I see that ads on TV all the time...

Andrew

cpr_paul

Hi Val,

Let me know if you need some additional information on track layouts in the waterfront...I have access to some mapping that may help.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Originally posted by MasonJar
Hi Val,

Looks like you have your work cut out for you!

Is this the silo complex that will be converted to Metronome Canada? I see that ads on TV all the time...

Andrew

Well, I have answered my own question - yes it is...

Check this link to the FAQs. They will have a working model, including trains...!! Val - are you up for the job? :D

http://metronomecanada.com/faqmalt.html

Andrew

spitfire

Several months ago I had a meeting with John Harris, who is one of the main people behind the Metronome project. At that time, he was planning to meet with the Model RR Club of Toronto (O-scale) to see if they would be willing and/or able to build the model. He planned a meeting with them but I have no info on what their subsequent answer was.

I had the feeling that the RR, shipping models were to be O-scale and that the working model would be a separate display in a much larger scale - something about 12 ft tall.

He did say though that they were having difficulty finding a willing brewery to participate in the working model, both majors having taken a pass, and that part of the project was in limbo. I suggested Steam Whistle, as they are in the old John Street roundhouse and obviously appreciate old Toronto buildings and history.

Anyway, yes, this is going to be a challenging model to build to exact scale. An approximation would be easier, using existing PVC pipes of the closest available diameter. Also the "marine leg" is one funky piece of industrial sculpture and while be the trickiest part of all.

Of course it would help if I knew how it worked, or had ever seen one in operation.

cheers
Val

Matthyro

Val I have a space that is 24inches wide. 3inches deep at one end and 4inches deep at the other. Hope this will be big enough for an N gauge model. Based on the pictures an N gauge model works out to be about 18 1/2 inches wide (250 feet actual)and 9 3/4 inches high.(130 feet actual)
It will be interesting to see how close this is to the actual dimensions.
Can't wait to see the drawinds and get started on this Canada Malting Fullard building.
cpr_paul any idea how tracks are compared to this structure?

Matthyro

Sorry, I should have been more specific cpr_paul
What I wanted to know is where the railroad tracks were located to serve this building. Val told me there are two tracks between the building and the dock so that should provide what I was asking for.