Canada Malting Plant

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Robin,

Don't know where you get these ideas from, but it's lucky I can type because they leave me speachless.

You might talk to Kelogg and Post to see if they won't pay you a royalty for the most inovated use of their products....:D :D :D :D

Don

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Next the ship loading arm is extended and I have to build a ship so this arm will be over the hold. I need to do some weathering on the arm still. Will put a wash of grey over it.

Attachments

• cm16.jpg
    cm16.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 239
  • cm16.jpg
    cm16.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 238

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Thanks for your generous comments folks.
Here is an overall view with the base coat of paint on. Weathering and additional details still to come. I just wanted you to be able to see the size of this thing. You can judge by the grain hopper waiting to unload.
Now if this was available in kit form I wonder what I would have had to pay for it. As of now, it has cost me $18.00 so far.

Attachments

• cm17.jpg
    cm17.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 197
  • cm17.jpg
    cm17.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 244

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by Matthyro

Here is an overall view with the base coat of paint on. Weathering and additional details still to come.

Robin, did you cover the tall silos with paper or something before the paint? They do not look like the smaller ones - or did I miss a view of the original?:rolleyes: BTW - that operating loading arm is fantastic.:) :)

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
David, The tall silos are covered in the real thing as can be seen here. I glued on a layer of cardboard over the tall silos to try to look like the actual ones.

Attachments

• cm1.jpg
    cm1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 344
  • cm1.jpg
    cm1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 341

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Robin,
I've said it before, I'll say it now, and I'll undoubtedly say it again, your work is absolutely amazing. Every time you post pictures of a new project you raise the bar. If I were wearing a hat I'd tip it to you. If I had a glass of beer in front of me I'd raise it to you. If I...., well, you get the idea.

Keep posting! Please! And don't EVER run out of cardboard!

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
The foam shape seen here will become a tramp steamer loading malt destined to brewerys around the pacific rim.

Attachments

• cm18.jpg
    cm18.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 281
  • cm18.jpg
    cm18.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 275

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
The tramp steamer begings to take shape. The hull sides are bristol board. I got two sheets of it for a buck at the local dollar store. The bulkheads are corrugated cardboard

Attachments

• cm19.jpg
    cm19.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 247

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Good Lord, Robin, what a beautiful sight!

We are already accustomed to see your cardboard masterpieces - one after the other is inspiring for us. This malting plant with its ingenious loading arm is another climax in a long row of great structures.

And now you are even entering the realm of the ship modelers! Your steamer looks just great from the start. Ah, those elegant lines of a ship! Frankly, I can't wait to see the finished model. And I wonder how you'll construct the masts and their rigging...

Thank you once more for your picture series on constructing your awesome models - they are a sort of a long row of how-to-do-it books on the web. Keep 'em coming, keep 'em coming - I can't get enough... :) :) :) :) :)

Ron

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Thanks Ron.
I wanted an easy way to make port holes so went tho Michaels and got this handy hole punch. It was designed for leather work but for N scale where small holes are needed this tool does the job.

Attachments

• cm20.jpg
    cm20.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 225

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Here is an updated photo of the progress I am making on the tramp steamer. Port holes and the bridge and some hand railing. The funnel has been added too.

Attachments

• cm21.jpg
    cm21.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 215