Can we join many unroll surface into one piece?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by foamfunfly, Jul 13, 2004.

1. foamfunfly

foamfunfly New Member

Can I have only one unroll surface fuselage?
  2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

That depends......

What type of aircraft did you have in mind?

Tim P
  3. foamfunfly

foamfunfly New Member

Hi Tim,
    This is an idea because I see the potential to make a conversion from cardboard model to foam and fly it real. I think the model I need is not accurate to scale that much but it would nice to has, 3 pieces unroll is good and close enough. By the way I think the cardboard is nice to fly it real too.

Thanks,
    Sajja
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Sajja,

I don't see any problem with your idea. The Fiddlers Green range of models are designed that way, usually having a fuselage made of two or three sections. Several of these have been enlarged and flown successfully. If you have a particular design in mind, just try it out! There are plenty of active designers and modellers on this forum who will willingly give advice if you run into any problems. There have been discusions on using the thin, strong foam plastic sheet materials, instead of paper and card, because they are lighter for the same strength. have a look at www.samsmodels.demon.co.uk for more ideas!

Keep us up to date with progress,

Tim P
  5. foamfunfly

foamfunfly New Member

Hi Tim,
    That would be nice to have someone to be an advisor :)

Well, I would like to convert the WWI bi-plane like SPAD or Nieuport 17 my favourited bi-plane. Will update the progress :)
  6. j77ason

j77ason New Member

Hi,
    Take your model kit to a photocopier and photocopy enlarge it to any scale you want.
    more info in my other article - this site.
    Alternatively you could join the parts of the fuselage together on a centre line, so that the fuselage is one piece, then photocopy that or photocopy enlarge that, before making it into a different construction assembly.
    I thought about this procedure myself - If you cut out and mount the formers/ cross sections onto thick card, then glue them into the foam fuselage blocks, and then shape the fuselage down to the card formers/cross sections, you should have an accurate fuselage shape.
    If you do a colour photocopy of the fuselage skin from the kit (as above) but make it 5% bigger, then glue that skin to thin card. you should be able to glue that photocopy/card skin to the foam fuselage shape, to complete that part of the model and the same processes for wings & etc
    J77ason
  7. foamfunfly

foamfunfly New Member

J77ason
    Where is it? <<more info in my other article - this site>> I really can't find it.

Regards,
    Sajja