Can this prototype yard be modeled?

Rusted

Oct 30, 2002
Mankato, MN
Visit site
Credit for this photo goes to AA Krug - I saw it on his website.

I'm planning a yard for my HO layout and want a truly functional yard.

I could fit a lot more yard in my space using curve radii like these.

Would it be possible? Would operations be reliable?

Attachments

• guage3.jpg
    guage3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 234

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by Rusted
Credit for this photo goes to AA Krug - I saw it on his website.

I'm planning a yard for my HO layout and want a truly functional yard.

I could fit a lot more yard in my space using curve radii like these.

Would it be possible? Would operations be reliable?

Rusted,

Take a look at Ray Mativier's layout in the N/Z forum.

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2569

His yard looks like what is pictured here. He appears to have done what you want to do only his is in N vs. HO.:) :)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Curve radii

I've noticed that curves appear much sharper when viewed from the outside and broader when viewed from the inside. There's a yard (GO transit Bathurst Street) where the switches at one end look like Lionel S-curves when looked at dead on.
One of my friends worked for Algoma Central for a while and says he got strange looks for protesting some of the S-curves they were planning to put in one yard; says his boss recognised him as a model railroader.

Rusted

Oct 30, 2002
Mankato, MN
Visit site
Hey, neat site with the ariel views - but when zooming in that far, the detail is lost. Thanks though.

Also, Ray's layout is outrageous. Good for him, hard work does pay off!

Anyone else have a great HO yard layout with pictures?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Rusted,

The only concern I would have with curved entrances/exits from yards/staging area like the pic, is the placement of auto uncouplers.

The Kadee auto/magnetic upcoupler relies on the coupler being centred over the track. Longer carraiges with body mounted Kaddees, when parked on a curve, do not have the coupler centred over the track, and will not "auto uncouple". Also the coupler (magnetic strip) does not lend itself to being placed on a curve. (It physically wont fit between the rails).

That's just a thought if you wanna "automate" your yards. You could, of course, place thee coupler 2 - 3 " along the straight part of the yard, but you loose the length of "curve" as yard capacity for a lengthy train.