Can I come in?

MrBones

Feb 7, 2003
N.E. PA
Visit site
Hello everyone. Can I join in this club? I have been blown away with this forum. I would have introduced myself a couple of days ago, but I was too busy looking through most of the posts in the “N forum, photo forum and general forum. I’ll dig deeper later.

Great forums, thank you. This is the only place that I have seen threads of layouts being built as they are being built. Ideas and suggestions are shared left and right. I have been to other forums and they feel like well, forums. Here I get the feeling of stepping in on a model railroading club meeting. Friendly atmosphere and encouragements, wow.

Thank you for sharing your layouts, there are so many pictures here, I may never leave. That’s if you guys let me in of course.

I am new to this hobby. Never had much of an interest in trains. I remember my grandfather had a huge room full of trains and layouts. But he never let anyone in there. He was very wealthy and mean as they come. All of his children hated him and they all (13) couldn’t wait until he died so they could get his money. Funny thing though, he lived till he was 103 years old, and he ended up spending most of his money. My Dad thought there was going to be a real inner family feud.

Sorry, anyway, I bought some Atlas rolling stock and a MP 4-8-2. Way too much Atlas track and the wife piled on a ton of buildings, all N scale.

I purchase a hollow core door and a sheet of 2” foam and started painting the base coat. The fever must be building because I had to go out and buy a bunch of Kato Unitrack so I could run some trains now. So now I am starting to build a 30” X 48” layout with the Unitrack so I can have a working layout in my computer corner.

I rambled enough. I hope you let me attend more club meetings. Can I bring donuts?

Great forum,
MrBones

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Can you come in??!!
Hey, we're open 24/7, & that's what we're here for!

Welcome to The Gauge Mr. Bones!
Grab a cup of coffee, & browse around...ask any & all the questions you want, tell us about your layout, we're all here to share & learn, & most of all, to have some fun!
This is a great place! Welcome aboard!

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
Damnit! Bones, this is a friendly club not a rivet counting overstuffed forum! ;) Oh, right, you already picked-up on that.

I realy just wanted an excuse to say "Damnit! Bones."

Welcome to the Gauge.
-Questions answered all hours of the day and night,
-Work evaluated and praised monday through saturday 4 am til midnite,
-Fun to be had by all when all want to have fun.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Hi bones
You have obviously picked up on the fact that the Gauge folks seem right at home with everyone and everyone is welcome here.

There is a lot to see, a lot to learn, and a lot to share. So pull up a vacant chair grab, your mouse and keyboard and be a part of the best mrr forum going.

Above all, POST Pics. We like to see what you are doing:) :)

Have fun!!!:) :)

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
The only doors we have on this board are the hollow core type, so don't hesitate to come on in! Since you're new to the hobby, you've definitely come to a good place. I learn something new nearly every time I'm here!

Yakko...I think it's Bones who's supposed to say, "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a <fill in occupation here>." :)

Wait, didn't he once say, "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not an engineer!" I wonder if he was thinking of trains...maybe locomotives with warp drive. Maglev, eat my dust! WOOOSH!!!

nmtexman

Nov 8, 2001
Albuquerque NM
Visit site
Wife Most Valuable

By all means, encourage your wife to add things. I know of one person in our club who's wife built an entire town that looks just great. Unfortunately, there was no space on the layout for such a great looking addition.

What they ended up doing was taking one corner and placing the town on top of the layout on it's own level. Now there is a system of tunnels underneath the town where the trains run.

Here is a link to pictures taken of the town:

http://community.webshots.com/scrip...mID=38540900&photoID=38541301&security=iOLeyu

Hopefully that will work. If not, just go to www.webshots.com and look for nmtexman.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Greetings from the The Far (American) South. Matter of fact
it's sooo South there a people from Maine, Penn State, Ohio,
Jersey... Wellll... you get the picture.
Anyways...
Fellers and Gals here abouts ARE right friendly. Also, a good
bit of'em got a good bead on the Model Rail thing.
Welcome on in... and best to ya' on the making of your little
world.
:D :D

MrBones

Feb 7, 2003
N.E. PA
Visit site
Wow. Thanks for the welcome everyone. And some “Gauge legends” have dropped by too to tell me hi. Excuse me, I have to go get a tissue.

Grab a cup of coffee? I have spent so much time here lately, browsing and searching, I have had meals here at this desk.

A lot of you sure have a lot of talent. I look at some of the pictures and have to look real hard to make sure no one is fooling us and posting pictures of real trains. Does flattery help around here? Seriously, your work is tremendous.

I have a digital camera so I will take some pictures as I go, but you must promise not to laugh. Well, you can laugh. I have never done anything like this before. I have to go slow as I have new computer parts laying all over the place to build up a new/faster computer. I would like to get that built as my wife leaves for Florida next Friday, sorry Sir_Prize, for a couple of weeks and I want to spend those couple of weeks on my layout. I know I need more track and switches, so I have to start small. Plus there are a couple of train shows coming up here in Pennsylvania.

Thanks everybody.

MrBones

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
So the money's gone huh...

...bummer!

Well- C'mon in and suck up some of the best modeling experiences of those that are doing!

(Are ya sure there's not a Moose head mouted on a wall in the estate that might pour forth gold?)

I'm looking forward to pics of your railroad room (to see where the Moose head is located;) ) as you grow with THE Gauge!

Welcome aboard,

Mark

C

Catt

Welcome Mr Bones and yes you can bring the donuts.:D Glad you've decided to join us.

MrBones

Feb 7, 2003
N.E. PA
Visit site
Mark, I see you are listed in S.E. PA. If you don't mind kind sir, what town?

This is probably a dumb question, but will you be at the train show in Fort Washington next weekend? Is it worth a 2 hour drive?

Thank you,

MrBones

Crap, I forgot the donuts, I'll be right back.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Welcome mrbones, there's some pretty country in NE Pa. I hope you're modeling that area. You got some gaugers nearby who'd maybe drop in, or invite you over.
There's getting to be just about every answer you could hope for somewhere on this forum, and if you can't find it, ask again, you'll get an answer.
Pete

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Hi Bones! Just wanted to add my welcome from one Pennsylvanian to another... Love the "railroady" atmosphere in your part of the Commonwealth. Especially the areas of Carbon County and the town of Jim Thorpe...Enjoy your stay here at the-Gauge. You indeed have joined the best forum out there!!:) :cool: :D :) :cool:

Matt--Hershey, Pa.