Can anyone identify this loco and help me get it running?

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
I got this loco in a ebay lot was hoping to use it as a switcher on my layout but it isnt working and being new to this I am not sure how to go about fixing it it is HO gauge it was made in Yugoslavia and can see atest z-75351 on the bottem any help with getting it running would be great Thanks to you all for the help you give us!!
Mike

Attachments

• Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 222

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Look under the engine to see if there are any hidden screws to use to get it to come apart. It may be like an old Athearn sw7 where the "air tanks" on either side of the tank will spread a little allowing the chassis to slip out of the body. Once you have a chassis to post a pick of, we can probably find someone here who can help.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Hi mike,
That would be an AHM SW-1.
They were made in the mid 1970s.
Though not the highest quality loco it can be made into a decent running loco by replacing the motor and adding additional electrical wipers to the other 4 wheels,
I would start by removing the shell and inspect the wiring and see if the motor will run.

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
where do we go from this point

ok got the shell off here are the guts what do we suggest now? I am ok with mech things but dont want to do more damage then good

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 208

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Use a pair of small jumper leads to connect power directly from the track to the two motor leads and see if the motor runs. If the motor doesn't run, that chassis looks like an Athearn motor could be mounted easily.

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Don't know about using an Athearn motor - they're pretty big end to end but a flat sided can should work (and will be better than the original).

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
Good news yall after sitting here till ! in the morning studing it I have it up and running like a top looks like the last owner used oil on it and was coated with gunk in the pickups Thanks to all who had input

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
Talking about oil, I saw a kit somewhere for sale that offered oil, grease, and I can't remember what the third item was. Anyway, does anyone own one of these "maintenace" kits and does it have instructions as to how much oil and grease to use and where to apply? I am totally ignorant when it somes to model train maintenace