camera as the ultimate diorama tool

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
The Camera is a great tool, it shows you where you can improve your scenes.
As an example i put forth this little diormam ive thrown together that has many features some of which are unfinished and put in on Purpose.
So, The Camera is the Tool and You eyes are the critic.

How many area' can you find here that we can improve on.
Dont be shy, there are plenty.List them all or list just a few.
I already have a list for my own use, lets see if ya;ll can help me add to that list :)

Attachments

• Diorama 003.jpg
    Diorama 003.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 45

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
More groundcover mainly around the bases of the trees. I would use some fieldgrass around the perimeter of the shack also. Maybe some additional foliage on the lower limbs of the trees. I believe in people (or animals) in my scenes but I don't know what effects you are after in this scene. What good is all that firewood without a chimney on the shack? I too use my camera to critique my scenes.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Well, since this is an open invatation to be critical, I'd say that the three trees look like big twigs with some green stuff on the ends. They got no character, no depth and all the green is the same shade.

Nice experiment though..:D

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
santafewillie said:
...What good is all that firewood without a chimney on the shack? I too use my camera to critique my scenes.

There is a chimney, but it's hard to see due to the scene not having a backdrop. All the more reason to have one to set the atmosphere.

As for the diorama itself, Id cut out the smaller trees. They probably would've been cut down and turned into firewood along time ago. Replace with stumps. It'll clear the view of the cabin for the observer.

Hey, how about a rocking chair on the porch?

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
A good start guys, Zedob, either you had a good eye or you remember the building when i built it earlier :D

The trees are not planted,they are actually leaning againt the larger White pine tree.(and yes, leaves are all the same color for popple and birch which is a No No. As far as not enough leaves, these trees are in the shadow of a Giant White pine and would be undestory so i would agree only if they were in the open.The real world tree growing beneath White Pine Monsters have very little leaf and only enough for bare survival in many instances. Look sometime at understory trees in an older forest, ;)
The White Pine needs lots of dry brushing yet....................But, i'm not going to give you my list LOL
Lets see what else you can come up with :)

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Oh I forgot,
Fieldgrass, Good One Willie :)
This IS an open invitation don so have at it ;)
After a few days, I will make some changes, snap a couple more and we'll have another go at it..................I will keep going on this little 12 x 12 area until somebody screams enough already its Perfect !! :D

This should be alot of fun and also educational for all of us , Be Brutal, I can take it and really, I asked for it LOL :)

Wabash Banks

Mar 11, 2005
Indiana
I think the cabin porch is too sterile looking. If it is a cabin that is lived in then it needs something to make it look like it. If it is a garage or shop, then it needs some junk on the porch or some pieces of a future "project" sitting out there. The way it is, I can't tell if the cabin is being used because other than the wood, there isn't any sign of activity, or if it is something only occaisonally used, in which case it needs more clutter. I don't know what the A arm support is on the back, but the crook of that where it hooks to the cabin is a great spot for a birdsnest!
You also need a rigged up gutter with a trough that leads to that barrel so it will stay full!

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Yeah, see how much better a cluttered porch looks.

Actually, concerning the model, a really packed porch would be realistic. Maybe, place a tarp over the junk. I guess it depends on how "lived in " you want it to look.

Attachments

• image001.JPG
    image001.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 49

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
When I indicated we could have fun with this i really hadnt envisioned it becoming a joke thread.
Thanks for playin along, I'll find another outlet for this experiment.

Wabash Banks

Mar 11, 2005
Indiana
I hadn't made a joke. The porch full of cows was over the top, but depending on where you have the cabin sitting a stray animal in the area might not be unreasonable.

I am sorry if anything I had to say offended you as it was unintentional. I really thought you had a pretty interesting idea.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I'm sorry Tileguy, although it was a joke and not meant to do any harm, it isn't to far off from what I have seen in some pastures. Old houses used as barns, or atleast for feed storage. I wouldn't expect anyone to put that many cows on the porch, but as WB stated, one could be an option. Especially if a lumberjack with a young family lived there.

As for having a porch cluttered with junk and a tarp over it, I was dead serious. I don't have any proto pics, but I'm sure no matter what part of the country you live in, you will find a cabin with a porch packed to the roof full of who-knows-what.

Ok, so now that we've got a good idea of what can be done with the porch, let's move on to something else.

Question(s): Where is this cabin supposed to be located? Hills, mountains, valley? What part of the country?

The reason I ask is that maybe something that is indigenous to that area could be added to geographically help set the scene. i.e., if you had a 20ft. long cross cut saw, it would be more likely than not that your cabin would be in the N. West.

Since the base is small it's hard to create depth, without messing with the brain alittle. That's why I said it needed a backdrop of sorts. I know it's late now, but if the base sloped down forward, somewhat, it would help the model stand out alittle more. If the back edge of the base were rounded over, it would give the effect of a ledge (how far down it goes, nobody knows), but if the background is a mountain scene, I think the effect would be rather nice.

my extra $.02

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
After consideration and discussing this thread with those involved,I want to say that the quality of the people we have here is truly exceptional and while the timing of the joke above was not the best, the intent was not to derail.

I am considering Restarting this thread and likely will do so late in the coming week.
I appreciate the participation, critiques and suggestions and am hopeful that we can keep this next thread in line as a good source for learning about improving a scene not just through the use of a camera and details, but the use of members critiques of work shown to take a scene above and beyond what a person believed his skill to be.

Critiques when constructive and meant with good intent to help improve a modelers work, a songwriters song or even an artists painting is a tool just like a file a drill or a hobby knife. Its a tool that sharpens the senses, the imagination and can give definition to your work beyond what you may attain alone. Its a great way to gain experience quickly and bring your modelling to the next level.

This is an experiment in wether this can be done here in such a way that it makes participating members want to achieve more, dream larger and feel that help is just a thread away!!

That said, stay tuned for the new and improved thread,Coming to the scratchbuilding forum soon!! :)