Calling All Historians!!!

May 12, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Calling All Steam Historians!!! (warning to dial up users)

I just found in a old box in my garage my grandpa's old MRR equipment. Most of it was just old boxcars with horn-hooks, but I also found these 4 great steamers, 3 from Rivorossi, and 1 old Bachmann, and also a nice Union Pacific diesel. Have a lotta questions about these. I know the Big Boy, and the cab forward, but what about the 2-8-8-2 and the 4-8-4? What are they "offically", era used, passenger or frieght, things like that. Also, who makes the UP diesel and what the heck is it? Another thing now... lol Where can I get detail parts for the Big Boy and the UP diesel? The big boy is missing quite a few parts, and the diesel needs some head lights and number boards, so I was wondering who made some nice detail parts for it. Alas, another thing, how can I add lights to the back of the 2-8-8-2? Sorry guys, havn't dealt with steam much:eek:ops: These looks pretty darn old, so is it possible to add DCC to any of them?

Big Boy

Attachments

• Big Boy 1.jpg
    Big Boy 1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Big Boy 2.jpg
    Big Boy 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Big Boy 3.jpg
    Big Boy 3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Big Boy 4.jpg
    Big Boy 4.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 77

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Ok, Wildcat. All three of the steam locos are Rivarossi (the big boy, can forward and 2-8-8-2 Y6b Mallet), except the last being a Bachmann ATSF prototype 4-8-4. The Alco PA1 is an Athearn "blue box" unit, and you can purchase parts through horizon hobby, current owners of athearn. Additional detail parts can be found from Details west, as mentioned above, and other manufacturers.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
All of the steam are modern, being built in the 1930s or later, and used until the early '50s. Bowser (Cary and Cal Scale) makes brass and plastic detail parts for steam engines. A lot of the details for the UP Challengers (Bowser makes a kit) may fit in well with the Big Boy. Bowser also makes a chassis replacement for the Bachmann/Lionel 4-8-4. There is a US dealer who has some Rivarossi parts.

Quite a nice collection of engines.