Calling all Gauge members!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
The First Annual Gauge B.B.Q. Event!

Here's the plan, loosely formulated last night in the chatroom:
A Gauge N-track module get-together BBQ. What a great way to get all the talented modelers here together to make one incredible display!

Time:
Not set yet, but aiming for summer 2004

Tentatively at Val's (aka Spitfire) in Toronto Canada

While not everyone will be free to travel, there are all kinds of ways to get involved. Participation may be any of the following:
1) Module builders - make a complete module and come join the party!
2) Module contributors - make a structure or some rolling stock, mail or send with a visiting participant.
3) Ideas, trackplans, etc. etc. (track plans for consideration - decisions up to actual module builder)

N Trak Standards:
http://www.nmra.org/standards/consist.html#module

The idea is definitely in its early stages, open to suggestions! Who is interested, what would you like to add? Let's hear from you!

cheers
Val

Thanks to Arlaghan for taking the minutes of our impromptu meeting last night!

Gauge Modules Site

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Cool!

That sounds like a great idea Val!
(maybe we should change the name from "chat room" to "think tank"! :D )
I can pretty much guarantee I won't be able to come :( but I would love to contribute somehow...I'll get back to you on that! :)

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Gee,I leave the chat room to go to work and look what happens!

What a great idea! Yes,One could request a vacation for the week of the BBQ and head up that way..:D It shouldn't be cost prohibited to go to Toronto.

Now the questions?
Why N scale? :confused:
Should we use One track modulars or the standard N Trak plans? :confused:

At any rate count me in.:D

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
As Val stated, we discussed this last night in the chats! While we realize it might be difficult, if not down-right impossible for some (or most) to show, the idea is to get the whole forum involved in some way! Those who can make it, can report back to the rest!

I'm definitely up for this event! I would certainly enjoy seeing new locales and I've already got a "thumbs up" from the wife!

So, Val... what are the sites to see? ;)

C

Catt

How about TTRAK instead the modules are alot smaller and easier to transport.

By the way it sounds like a blast to me ,haven't been to Canada in what seems like at least a century.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
While it definitely sounds kewl, and that's mighty fine hospitality of you Val, mightn't we get together at the NMRA convention in Seattle instead (or in addition to, I suppose).

I'm actually planning on going next year, what with it being SIGNIFICANTLY closer to Edmonton (heck, probably as close as it will EVER get).

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Re: Gauge BBQ

Originally posted by Dave Flinn
Hey, can I come, too, just for the socializing?

You bet Dave! After seeing all the great shots you took of the last get-together, I nominate you for our official photographer.

To summarize the choices so far:
NTRAK: 2' x 4' module, 3 track main
TTRAK: 12-1/8 inches by 8-1/4 "
oNeTRAK: 1' x 4', 1 track main

I read on the oNeTRAK website that these modules are actually compatible with NTRAK using a connector module. So it seems that with a little advance planning, we could accomodate both formats.

I like the single track mainline idea myself, but would like 2 ft to play with for the width. Is that totally nuts?

cheers
Val

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Re: Re: Gauge BBQ

Originally posted by spitfire

You bet Dave! After seeing all the great shots you took of the last get-together, I nominate you for our official photographer.

To summarize the choices so far:
NTRAK: 2' x 4' module, 3 track main
TTRAK: 12-1/8 inches by 8-1/4 "
oNeTRAK: 1' x 4', 1 track main

I read on the oNeTRAK website that these modules are actually compatible with NTRAK using a connector module. So it seems that with a little advance planning, we could accomodate both formats.

I like the single track mainline idea myself, but would like 2 ft to play with for the width. Is that totally nuts?

cheers
Val

Val...

You might want to look at the "Free-Mo" stuff here: http://www.free-mo.org/

It is HO scale, but with a single main, and lots of flexibility for design. It seems you can build them to any dimension you want, as long as the track runs down the middle, and is perpendicular to the end for at least 6 inches.

This sounds like a lot of fun...!

Andrew

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Val,
I've been kicking around an idea to build a couple of N scale modules,(along with ten tousand other projects). It would be a bit of a drive, but I've driven further (two thousand miles with a broken ankle, so I really don't have any excuse). Settle on what a "module" has to be, so I can build to spec, or make compatible.
I should be able to have something done by next summer. I assume we'll be able to run trains, so, is someone already tasked with corner modules?
Hope to be able to make it there,
Pete