Calling all computer experts

angevine

Sep 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Dear all,

My work has asked if I would like any training to improve my work skills.

I've selected that I would like computer training inc. Web programming.

My question is, can anyone recommend any specific areas I should concerntrate on that would put me in a good position employment wise in the future?

An extra note I work in a military environment so anything along those lines would be good.

I know this sound a bit vaige but I know the areas that can be covered under IT is quite vast.

Regards,

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
That's a hard one.....

I guess the easiest way to tackle this is sketch the current trends in Web technology and suggest some concrete things you need to know to build applications. Please note this is my personal view on where Web technology seems to be heading.

I seems as if the days of Java and .Net are drawing to a close mostly because of the cost of building applications with these languages/frameworks. The "heaviness" of these frameworks usually implies applications which are costly and difficult to modify. In my work group we refer to Web applications as "Kleenex" code (wipe once and throw away) - it's unusual for any of our applications to last more than a year or so without major modifications or rebuild. To get to this state of low investment and diposability the industry is going back to scripting languages in a big way.

The acronym touted for current Web applications is LAMP - Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP/Python. The operating system and web server type aren't so important in my view but the database and scripting language are. The foundation of this kind of application is the database so a good grounding in database design and query construction (SQL) is a good starting point. For server side scripting any of PHP, Python or Ruby would be good to pick - once you've learned one the others are usually just syntactical changes rather than anything fundamental. On the client side a good understanding of XML, CSS, the DOM and Javascript would certainly help. Once you've done that then exposure to AJAX is a good idea.

I'd avoid the builder tool courses (Macromedia Dreamweaver, etc) - these tools often hide the real coding/design issues and tend to lock you into proprietary solutions. This is one of my criticisms of M$ .Net - easy to do some things nearly impossible to do exactly what you want it to.

It looks like a huge ask to get up to speed on all that but the scripting languages aren't huge things to learn like Java and you can build useful stuff very early in the learning curve (always helps motivation).

Once you've done all that and you want to move to Oz come and see us.....

Regards,

Charlie

angevine

Sep 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Charlie,

Thanks for the responce, this is just the help I needed.

Watch the skies, I might take you up on your offer! lol.

Many thank for your advice.

Rob

gchucky

Feb 10, 2004
USA
Current IT fad pendulum is swinging toward people with knowledge of their business or be able to manage the tasks that are outsourced. If your going to Web Design, look at what type of businesses that your going to sell yourself too. Like small, medium, or large. Auto, utilites, medical, aerospace, transportation, sales, etc. A good understanding of their business may be a added selling point then a general designer.

Chucky