Cactus blossoms

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, I know this isn't the House Beautifulor theHomes and Garden forums, but I took this picture about an hour ago of a cactus in blossom in our front yard and I though you might be interested. The cactus is about 30" high, and the blossoms will only be there a day or two before they either wither and fall off, or some desert animal will come by at night and eat them. Getting a picture of one in full bloom is like waiting to take a picture of a train to come though. Blink and you've missed your chance.

Don

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
That's pretty cool! Never saw blooms like that on cati. Here in IN they glue fake blooms on the cactus and sell 'em in walmart. Question: does the little animal get a good buzz when he eats the flower. I hope so, since he only gets one a year, I hope he gets pretty stoned and goes in his hole happy! OK, I know, time for my meds and some sleep. :D :D :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Re: Heat?

Originally posted by interurben
Hi D:cool: n, How is your knee?? I am getting about more now.

How about sending some heat up north to us and a cactus or two:D
Thanks for the nice photo I suppose the flower has gone now:(
Hi,
The knee got a workout today with nine hours of driving to spend a hour at a job site. It started to get a bit testy on the way home. How 'bout yours? Slow going isn't it?

yesterday it was 93 out which is why the cactus is all starting to bloom. You're welcome to at least 20 of them if I knew how to get them across the border.:cool: We will see in the morning if they're still there. We have a yard full of wild flowers as well. We planted the cactus, but the flowers just grew. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow.

D:D N

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi EZ, Thanks for posting the pic of the cactus....My "third" hobby is unusual plants.....I have one called a "Night Blooming Sirrus"...it only blooms every three or four years and then only between the hours of midnight and three AM and by dawn the bloom is gone. Sorry I don't have a pic of it in bloom but its well worth the wait....I've had it for about 20 years and have only seen it bloom three times. The bloom is a vibrant red and is about 6 inches across.