cabooses plans

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jim currie, Sep 3, 2003.

1. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

some time back someone wanted interior layout plans for caboose
    found plan but could not find post if anyone knows this thread let me know or if poster reads this let me know if you found plan.
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

No plans...

But here is a picture. It is a CP "van", as they are supposed to be called in Canada. Pretty straightforward layout. Benches on each side, a wood stove, a desk, cupboards and a washroom under the cupola, and a bit of storage.

Attached Files:

3. MasonJar

Here's another view. It is from another caboose, but the layout was the same.

Attached Files:

4. MasonJar

And here is the outside, just so you know what I am showing you. I believe that the bay window and centre cupola cabooses had a very similar layout.

Andrew

Attached Files:

5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

On the second photo, just past the stove is the cupola area. You may be able to make out the seating area, on top of the cupboards. There were some padded cushions up there, but I forget where the legs went. There would be some sort of ladder going up.
  6. billk

billk Active Member

What's the boxy thing on the cabinet to the right in the second foto? Looks like maybe a water tank or something?
  7. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

I think you're right, billk.

Cabooses (cabeese?) had to carry a fresh water supply, especially in the climatically hot zones. You can also see the sink in front of the tank.

Ron
  8. MasonJar

The "boxy thing" is a water tank, with a little tap that hangs over a small round sink. You can see it here in the "lightened" version of the photo.

(You can lighten a photo by cranking up the "gamma" setting in the balance control where you also set brightness and contrast).

Attached Files:

9. MasonJar

Your feet go at the top of the ladder. In the cupola, there are two seats on each side facing each other. There are cupboards and storage areas under each seat, with the ladder up the middle.

Here is a picture looking forward from the left-rear seat in the cupola. You can see the rear facing seat, and to the right is the ladder down to the little corridor you can see past the kitchen" in the shots above.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Attached Files: