Caboose sighting

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
At 5:35 this afternoon I saw the last few cars of a mixed freight rolling through New Brighton Mn on the CN (WC) line at the diamond with the Minnesota Commercial Railroad. At the end of this train was an old SOO Line caboose. The white body was almost completely rust tinted but there it was!

Ralph

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
man,where was your camera!!!LOL,i always did like SOO lines color scheme...even if its oxide red now :thumb:.i always did wonder why they let there equipment go like that,its such a shame :cry: --josh

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I now see the value of keeping a camera in the car. :) I wasn't railfanning at the time...just heading home from work and happened to be in the right place at the right time.
Ralph

Dakota train

Mar 30, 2006
Wilton, North Dakota
old SOO caboose

Hey Ralph, did it happen to look alittle like this caboose. I snap a picture of this one on a siding in Bismarck. It use to sit on a siding in Wilton were I live. But now the DMVW, local rr is repainting it. Got another pic of it with a primer coat on it.

Attachments

• soo caboose 2.JPG
    soo caboose 2.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 100
  • soo caboose 1.JPG
    soo caboose 1.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 97

Tommybza

Feb 15, 2007
N W Indiana
I live close to the Indiana harbor Belt round house some good ones go threw there .then on the way to the City there is the N S and lots of coke express coal cars well get some up soon how do i enter a url immage ?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Tommybza said:
I live close to the Indiana harbor Belt round house some good ones go threw there .then on the way to the City there is the N S and lots of coke express coal cars well get some up soon how do i enter a url immage ?
There's a tutorial on how to either upload pictures to the Gauge or to post a link to a picture. The tutorial is here:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=17176

If you're still having problems, contact me or one of the mods and we can work with you.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Dakota train,

It was similar but thankfully the rust wasn't that heavy and you could make out the SOO logo. Glad to see the one you photoed is getting a face lift!
Ralph

Dakota train

Mar 30, 2006
Wilton, North Dakota
New paint job

Here's a pic of the soo caboose with a new coat of paint. i couldn't get a full shot of it. Heard through the grapevine its going to be a executive caboose.

Attachments

• dmvw caboose.JPG
    dmvw caboose.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 57

Dakota train

Mar 30, 2006
Wilton, North Dakota
More Soo Line Cabooses

Found these cabooses the same day sitting on an old spur, owned by the same rr that just painted the other caboose.

Attachments

• soo cabooses 3.JPG
    soo cabooses 3.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 57

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Hi guys, just got back from a scouting trip, and guess what I saw! Not one, but TWO cabooses! Going to some town in Indiana, I saw that a B&O cabose was put near a house on it's own little peice of track and looked nice. Then in another Indiana town (Brownsville?) there was two paralel tracks crossing the road into some industry, and place inbetween them off towards to the side was what apeared to be a yellow Chessie System caboose! I wanted to take pics of them but I didn't have a camera :) Then on the way back, I saw a unit grain hopper train go by, and two Ex-CNW covered hoppers were clearly distinguishable! What a strange occurance, but hey, I don't mind!

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Then on the way back, I saw a unit grain hopper train go by, and two Ex-CNW covered hoppers were clearly distinguishable! What a strange occurance, but hey, I don't mind!
I see ex-CNW covered hoppers quite often. Always patched, and for some reason I can't remember what to... NOKL? EEC (whatever that is)?

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
I think it would be pretty cool to own a caboose and turn it into semi-permanent living quarters. I hear the major railroads will stick a personal car on the end of a train for a fee. A great way to see the countryside.