C-liners on the Blackwater Sub.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Here's Three C-liners coming out of the tunnel in Blackwater, pulling the daily passenger.
agh.sized.jpg

Only the lead engine is actually mine, the others belong to a friend who had me add all the grabs to them. That takes some time and a steady hand. :D

agi.sized.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Another classic paint scheme. Are these the Proto1000 version? Before these were released, I did one for a friend using the old AHM body on a Stewart Baldwin drive, painted in CNR colours like your Trainmaster. When the Protos came out, he picked up an A-B set and all three actually run very well together. I'm also pleased to say that the original that I built stands up quite well, appearance-wise.

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The C-Liners came in either a B-B or a B-C wheel arrangement. Life-Like Canada is bringing out the five axle version sometime next year. From what I've heard, they'll be doing A units only, along with the running gear to make your own B unit. Evidently the four and five axle B units were the same length, so you can just supply your own body shell from a B unit that you already own. Sounds kind of silly to me: why not just sell it as a complete unit? Who would want to be left with a perfectly good four axle mechanism with no body?
Wayne

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
These are the Proto units. I do have a line on a couple of the older AHM units, one A and 1 B Complete with Athearn drivetrain components to make B-C axle units out of them. The AHM bodies aren't too bad, once you remove the oversized pilot and add some proper grabs to it. Of course they are allot more work than the protos since all you have to do is add the grabs which take about an hour per unit.

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
Actually, AFAIK the three-axle trailing bogie was only on the passenger versions to reduce the axle loading as these units carried a steam generator in the back of the carbody.

Hence the C-Liner 5-axle units are actually passenger units whereas the 4-axle ones are freight units.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Miles,
My SWAG (scientific wild ***guess) would be "As Far As I Know" :D :D

Ross31r,
I hadn't heard that explaination before. Makes sense, but doesn't explain the limited number of roads that used the 5 axel units. LIRR, and New Haven come to mind, and I can't think of any others.
Pete

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
It has always been my understanding that CNR had the only 5-axle C-liner units, being used for passenger use. Other railroads (as well as the CN) used other passenger units like FP's ,PA's ect.
CN also used FPA-2 and FPA-4 units, basically FA-2's with a steam generator in them.
On another note the CPR used 4-axle c-liners in southern BC (crowsnest and kettle valley div.) on passenger trains.

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
sumpter250 said:
Miles,
My SWAG (scientific wild ***guess) would be "As Far As I Know" :D :D

Ross31r,
I hadn't heard that explaination before. Makes sense, but doesn't explain the limited number of roads that used the 5 axel units. LIRR, and New Haven come to mind, and I can't think of any others.
Pete

yes it doesn mean As Far As I Know!

and yes, it would explain why a limited number of roads used them - most road would probably have rather had a "proper" passenger units such as the PA or E series rather than what was effecitvely a full sized "kitbash" of a freight unit.