C-21 Dragon Assault Ship from AVATAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haereticus

OK, one final mesh update. There's a few more bits and pieces to do on the mesh, but it's almost all tweaks and internals so not very photogenic. The next update will be about texturing, probably the front engines.

In this update:
The (very nearly completed) bow of the Dragon, including weapons sponsons, both cockpits, and turret:
Screen shot 2012-02-27 at 11.04.29.jpg

The flight instruments in the pilot's cockpit, as detailed as I dared make it:
Screen shot 2012-02-27 at 11.04.46.jpg
The gunner's cockpit still needs to have the analogous details added.

A closeup of the weapons sponsons on the sides:
Screen shot 2012-02-27 at 11.05.32.jpg

I'd also like to mention that I've set up a blog, http://haereticuspaper.wordpress.com, which I'll post updates on my progress on. I'll still post them here so (if anyone's interested) they don't have to keep checking it. This website will be where I publish the final document, and those of future papercraft.

Z

Zathros

The build up of this model is so excellent to watch. I do hope you keep posting pics. I will be bookmarking your blog too. Great work, l truly am impressed! :)

Haereticus

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, Zathros! It means a great deal coming from such an esteemed member of the forums! Thanks for your continuing interest in my work.

Z

Zathros

"Esteemed", Thanks!! I haven't had a good laugh in a long time!! (If ARMORMAN reads this, I'm doomed!) :)

Haereticus

Haha..!
128789719441767413.jpg

I'm very confused.

Haereticus

I really have no idea what you guys are talking about.

It looks like completion of the mesh is going to be delayed until at least after the weekend. My girlfriend has commandeered my laptop to write an essay on obscure Old English poetry and I now have quite a lot of work to get done somehow with no computer, so the next update will be a little while away.

Haereticus

OK, I've got my computer back. I haven't made much progress but I've hit something of a snag which only occurred to me when I was making the cockpit seat for an Albatros D.Va (WWI plane) at 1:32 scale today, and was confirmed for me when I added a scale reference box to my project:

Screen shot 2012-03-04 at 12.08.31.jpg

I guess that at 1:100 scale it's going to have to be a lot less detailed than I hoped. I think therefore I might publish this at 1:100 and 1:72 (instead of 1:144). What do you guys think? Ideally I'd like a scale at which it would be feasible to have all the Scorpion (12.2 m), Samson (15.9 m), Dragon (41.5 m), AMP suit (4 m high) and possibly the link shacks/mobile labs...

Z

Zathros

Do whatever makes you comfortable! Your the designer. This will be the only ship like this out there. If someone complains, they know where they can park it! :)

goodduck

What I do all the time is hold up a ruler next to the CG model full size in the screen, at something small like the gun barrel to see is it possible to build it at ? scale. That always answer my question very fast that should I scale up or down or just drop detail.

vbsargent

I personally love 1/72nd scale. It is small enough that you can make some pretty big vehicles without having them occupy an entire room, yet big enough that you can also be very detailed and still see it. Of course doing cockpits in 1/72nd is a bit of a pain in the kiester.

Status
Not open for further replies.