But it's a dry heat!

newhall

Out in Los Angeles we have hit 105-107 during the day and 70-75 after 10:00 PM. I will take that anyday! :thumb: Having suffered through many summers of 24x7 of 90+ degrees with 99% humidity in New York City :eek: , I'm a firm believer of dry heat back here in the West. :wave:

kf4jqd

I grew up in the Mississippi River Valley, The Quad Cities Area. I remember the humidity was so bad, I cupped my hands. In the palm within seconds, there was a puttle of sweat! I lived in Moline, Illinois by the way.

Andy

Chris, I second that dry heat thing, it's for real. Houston, about 300 miles away, has that 90+ humidity and I hate it. Here's a picture of the thermometer in my train room taken today, it shows 113. It was tolerable but I'm not so addicted (I think) that I spent time there. Following that picture is another that shows why I don't operate in these temperatures.

Attachments

• temperature.jpg
    temperature.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 33
  • warped track.jpg
    warped track.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 32

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Wow Guys. The highest i have ever seen it here in Pa was 102 and that is here in my hometown of Portage. I don't think I would be able to go through all that heat like you guys do.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Chessie6459 said:
Wow Guys. The highest i have ever seen it here in Pa was 102 and that is here in my hometown of Portage. I don't think I would be able to go through all that heat like you guys do.
Heck, I ain't bragging, but it was 100 at midnight here last night. It cooled down to 92 later on though. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
santafewillie said:
Here's a picture of the thermometer in my train room taken today, it shows 113.
If your train room was like my train room (also known as the garage) I can understand how it got so hot. My track also looked like it was laid by a drunk during the summer.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
ezdays said:
Heck, I ain't bragging, but it was 100 at midnight here last night. It cooled down to 92 later on though. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know, LOL. Only problem with the high heat is when it cools down at night you freeze because you get used to the high temps in the day.

Jim Krause

Another hi temp story

I was down to our local museum today (the location of our club's model RR layout). Met a family from Tuscon who were vacationing here in MT to get away from the heat. It was a cool 90 degrees here today. Caused our track to buckle in several places. Worst spot was inside a tunnel (of course).

jflessne

It hasn't been a dry heat recently. 2.71 of rain in my area and we are getting more today. But honestly. Someone give us a break. It's still like 95 degrees.

pennman

To Much To High

Well, I can tell you this its been so hot that the pool is like a bath tub in Tn. I'd rather just takea cold shower wish this would let up a bit. Dont mind summer but these dog days have got to go.
Tony:curse:

caellis

I was born and raised in PA, near Williamsport. The wife and I left PA about 30 years ago. I have lived in 16 locations in the past 30 years and retired in Mesa, AZ. I can afford to live anywhere but I chose AZ. I got so used to the hotter dry climate that I do not visit PA during the summer because I mind the heat more in PA than I do in AZ.
Besides the winter months here are really great too.

pennman

Its A Rainin

Well, just wanted to say it finnaly rained in clarksville Tn today. It was a good old gully washer too. Its about dam time.. Maybe I need to wash my truck and cean the pool more often.balloon6
Tony

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
pennman said:
Maybe I need to wash my truck and cean the pool more often.Tony
Is that all it takes? Durn, I've got two vehicles that need washin'. Guess I better get to it if I want to see any rain! As for the pool... we are one of the unfortunate families that don't have one here. I guess I could hose off the driveway. Think that would work?

Ray Marinaccio

We caught the edge of a storm today.
It was cloudy and humid all day, then it finally rained (and hailed) for about 20 minutes around 4:00.
We aren't getting much rain hear because I hooked our down spouts to a 200 gallon tank to catch the rain water.wall1 wall1