Business Ideas

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Greetings. I'm working on plans for a new diorama to be included in the final layout. This diorama will be centered around Telenetresearch, my freelance plastic pellet transfer facility (TNR, see pic below).

There will be a spot for one car beside the facility, and then 2-3 on the side spur that goes out at an angle. I've got an old gas station type building I'm going to change into a tire store "XXX Tire", and a church. But I think I might have room for one more small business beside the church (I might switch the church and the new business as well).

Any ideas ??? It has to be pretty small, and fit into a 1980 era layout (McPherson KS to be precise).

mcpherson.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Can you switch the church and ???, and then leave a bit more space for the TNR siding to come between the Tire store and the new ???. That way your siding could also serve ???.

As for a suggestion, what about a farm equipment dealer, a transfer station, or a small furniture factory (boxcar in and out)?

Hope that helps...

Andrew

CarlFidy

Jun 17, 2002
Owasso, OK
Visit site
Cafe??

My first thought was along jon's idea. Some where for all the little plastic folks of the town to eat. This could really wreak havoc on the dispatcher's plans for the day, especially if the train crews like the place. Not sure what would be served since the plastic folk are petroleum based life forms. Any menu ideas....

But thinking about it, I like MJ's idea too. More switching oppurtunities are always a good thing.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
In case anyone's curious, this "diorama" has been converted into a 27" x 33" module, sans mainline (I can add the mainline roaring past later and far more easily I think).

Included on the module (now known as McPherson Industrial Park) will be:

- telenetresearch (as above, plastic pellet transfer facility)
- church (as above)
- Triple X tire center (as above)
- Yellow Freight Truck Terminal, *and*
- Tessenderlo Kerley (ammonia thiosulfate production)

TNR and T/K will be rail-served for sure. I might also have an additional spur go into the truck terminal parking lot, so they can load trailers onto flatcars if necessary.

I like the pub idea, and it might fit better into the scene, but I already have the church, and it's nice and small and fits good (and my mom gave it to me so it has to be used somewhere so she keeps buying me stuff !! ) :D :D :D

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
The Gauge Cafe...

There was a write up in one of the MR Mags about a round robin group that was challenged to create a common business on all their various layouts..

Each of the members of the round robin group modeled a different scale/gauge, so they couldn't share rolling stock or equipment, so they all modeled a cafe/restaurant/burger joint. They were each given a model "Polar Bear" that they each had to incorporate into the scene. One had it mounted on the roof of the restaurant, another hung it on chains in front of the building and another just had it mounted on the ground next to the road.

They created a franchise restaurant that each of the layouts had in common.

We're doing this with "The Box" and other Gauge rolling stock, so why not a Gauge business? Something railroad related or otherwise..

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Boxes and railcars and things that move....

Originally posted by Sir_Prize
Isn't that "business" thing where the THE GAUGE railcars came from?
Just pointing it out...:rolleyes:

Guilty as charged....

Still....

Boxes and railcars are things that move....

A "The Gauge" Business is a stationary item that could be modeled too....