Bus Wiring for DCC

mrazz

Jun 26, 2008
I have a couple of questions about bus wiring for DCC. How far apart should each Bus Wire packet be when wiring an entire layout? Also, how does one decide where to put them when constructing an entire yard? Any thoughts by anyone? Thanks for the info, Mark

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
I think the separation issue of the DCC bus wires is over emphasized...After all, the tracks themselves are "buses", and they're only a little over 5/8" of an inch apart (HO)...even less on N. So, unless you have a humongous layout, a couple of inches will do....

mrazz

Jun 26, 2008
I'm sorry, I need to be more clear on my questions. What I mean is, how far apart should each set of feeder wires be placed on the same track line? In other words, soldering a set of feeder wires to each rail, than how far down the same track you are working with should i solder the next set of wires?

Also, do you do every track line that leads into a yard all the way to the end of each bumper?

Thanks

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Ok....Generally feeders from the bus to the tracks are placed on each individual piece of track to avoid relying just on the rail joiners to conduct the electricity. So if you've used 3 foot sections of track (flextrack) you would have feeders every three feet (+/-).
If you are using power-routing turnouts in the yard, and the yard tracks aren't too long, I would solder the rail joiners instead of using feeders on every track.
Hope this helps....

mrazz

Jun 26, 2008
Now my next question would be, do you generally solder the feeder wires to the rail joiners connecting each 3 ft section of flex track? Or do you solder the rail joiners together by themselves, and solder feeder wires to the middle of each 3 ft flex track section? If you solder the wires to the rail joiners, do you use the pre made rail joiners with wires already attached made by Atlas?

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Soldering the rail joiners to the track, and putting feeds at every track section would be redundant. Generally feeders are soldered to the tracks to avoid having to solder the rail joiners, which allows for track expansion and contraction with weather changes. I think most people do a mix of both techniques, as track conditions may warrant. ( I do...) I have never used the "wired" rail joiners. I think they came up with those for people who are "soldering challenged".