Burn Out?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Herc: a couple of suggestions.
Get an old set of Xmas tree lights - the series ones -- probably an old set where one is burnt out but you can't get replacements. Count the bulbs and cut off 1/10 of them e.g. in a 24 bulb set, cut off 3. (3 that work). Strip the ends of the wire. You now have a 12 volt tester. If you do it right you have a long wire at one end. You can use this to test track to see where the electricity is or isn't. Sometimes I add alligator clips on each end.
We designate rails as North and South (trains run East and West). Saves arguing about the + and - rails, which will change when you reverse the train. This helps trace the wiring. Also, if your N rail meets your S rail, you got problems. (we'll tell you about that when you finish reading the book!)

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Outstanding...I knew those old Christmas lights would be good for something someday.

That's what I like about this hobby...all you need to succeed is a firm understanding of physics, degrees in mechanical, civil and electrical engineering (or work related equivelent), the hands of a surgeon (who also has the ability to model foam/clay/plastics and paint), imagination, and money...lots and lots of money.