Bunk Car / MofW Car (scratchbuild)

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by RonP, Jan 14, 2008.

1. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

Well i felt the windows didn't quite look right yet so i put the model back on the layout for a few days. At the yahoo group one guy said he was right into making rolling stock which got me thinking what could i try out. welll here it is.

Attached Files:

2. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Is it going to be the comissary car in the plans? Which magazine are those plans in?
  3. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Cool. Yep, they're basically just a boxcar with windows and a door or two...they always make cool cars. Just like old, out of date passenger cars, old boxcars would be turned into MoW cars and barns. We are very fortunate of the last one, because a number of really interesting cars have survived that way.
  4. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

Yes it is the comissary car which needs to be cut down to 36' I just don't know if i want to yet.

Attached Files:

5. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Oh I see now. It looks like an intresting build. I'm guessing you are in the habit of painting/staining your wood after the build?
  6. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

I don't have an air brush yet, and i am not ready to to paint yet.

I am sure in the future i will paint or stain first but not yet. Gotta build the tools and supplies for that.

And learn more

I like the look of fresh white pine reminds me of work. I love to work.
  7. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Looks nice. You might want to consider building a new frame...and adding pretty trucks such as Kadee's or similar.
  8. modelsof1900

modelsof1900 Member

Ron,

do you work in HO or O-scale? I think it is HO-scale.

My intention to your work with a really good start is that you should use industrial made stripwood and in this case I would you advise that NorthEastern scale wood will be the best way. NorthEastern stripwood has sometimes small differences in thickness and wide of their strips and this is absolutely the right for modeling older wood cars and floors where humanity and rain has let work the wood. Those wood walls are flat enough to see that is a wall or a floor however you see also the small differences and a raw facing.

Be sure you will be lucky with changing to commercially made stripwood. Wish you success!
  9. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

the thing About commercially available wood is i have to pay for it. And along with everything else in life i will get better with practice i'll update tonight after i decide on a good roof section might cut it off a boxcar.
  10. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

It just occured to me...that was me! sign1
  11. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

A little update while plaster dries on my other projects. I added a cereal box roof (Looks up and says thanks to Robin) So here it is.

Thick econo box cereals have roughly a scale 2" thickness so i will be using that for the walk uptop and other window and fascia treatments.

Attached Files:

12. COX 47

COX 47 Member

Looks good...Cox 47
  13. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

New update here i put on the plank walkway

Attached Files: