Bumbling yule rush

ezdays

Out AZ way
I've mentioned that I just finished ballasting the new section of my layout, probably around 70 feet of track along with 14 new turnouts. All the turnouts were checked before ballasting, and they all needed to be worked a bit afterwards because of some excess glue and stray ballast. Now I'm trying to get the track so that I can run some trains for the grandkids on Christmas since they'll all be here for dinner on Christmas Day. I got them all working, except one that was a bit too loose. It seems like the linkage broke and it wouldn't switch electrically and was too loose for even manual switching.:curse:

Now, it's not much fun tearing up the track and the ballast, but I did it and replaced it with a used one that I got at a train show. Got it all back in place, painted the track and ties, put in new ballast and wired it back up only to find the wires had broken free where they went into the solenoid housing.:curse: :curse: Once again I tore up the track, removed the ballast and found yet another used one that worked. Halfway though the process, I pushed on the solenoids to move it in place and gee...... the solenoids broke off.:curse: :curse: :curse: Seems like the person that it to me had glued the solenoid assembly back in place, and did a lousy job of it. :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: I was now out of RH turnouts and so I had to either drive about 15 miles past the mall traffic to the LHS, or use a LH one. I opted for the LH turnout, but now it didn't quite fit, one track no longer reached the turnout and so.... yeah, I had to remove another foot of track and ballast and replace it with one that was about 1/8" longer.:curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:

The good news is that the LH turnout and new track is in place and all I have to do it finish connecting the wiring (which now comes out on the opposite side of where I have made allowances for it), paint the track and ties, then re-ballast.:D

Please Santa, I know you're a busy guy right now, but take the time to guide me so I don't screw up any more and get this finished before the grandkids show up....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

shaygetz

Model Railroadin' is fun!:D :D :D :D Glad you got it fixed...now, put down the keyboard and get back to work:thumb:

Herc Driver

All rise...the Honorable Herc Driver's Court is now in session...all ye give attention to whom these presents may come.

This court rules "Time Served"...consider yourself not guilty of any language/temper fits/acts of reckless destruction in the above aforementioned event. This court reminds the defendant that he is in the service of others and therefore not held strictly responsible for his actions - since he's acting out of the best interests of the "holiday spirit of giving" and "sacrifice for others". This court remands the defendant to further layout improvements until such time as the improvements are completed or deemed sufficient to please young viewers who are at this time no doubt making plans to visit the defendant's home of record. Furthermore, this court reminds the defendant that the little ones soon to be viewing the layout will be totally impressed with whatever improvements have been or will be made to the said layout, and do not need to know the trouble and efforts required to make such improvements. The defendant is instructed to attend, via electronic means readily available through a nationally recognized forum such as "the-gauge", group counseling where he can share his frustrations within the umbrella of support and encouragement due such noble efforts.

This is my decision, blah blah blah (insert legal-speak here)...Baliff, collect $20 court costs from the defendant and validate his parking...he is free to return to his layout and continue his work. Case closed.

Next...

ezdays

Out AZ way
But...but...but, your honor..... Geeze, I'm totally innocent and need to defend myself. :wave: I was actually not there at the time, I was helping some little old lady with some packages down at the post office. Honest. I came back and these things just broke themselves... No, maybe it was the neighbor's cat... we don't have one of our own to blame so, yeah, that was it.:thumb: It's not the $20 that bothers me, it's my reputation. I hold a high position in this community, after all, I spoke to the mayor once by email, that counts for something.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Please reconsider, it's not been a good day so far, and I'll be cleaning out glued-on ballast from under my fingernails for the rest of the weekend :rolleyes:... but I promise to fix it all in time for the little ones to enjoy...:D :D Have pity on this wreck of a human being, a disgruntaled but not defeated fellow model railroader.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Herc Driver

Harrumphhhh (sound of clearing throat in my best Perry Mason impression)...First let me say this..."to thy own rails - be true." You were convicted only of starting a major rennovation so close to Christmas and its merriment. And as I said, you were sentenced to "time served" in the repair and reclamation of you layout's trackage. You were honest and forthwright - which was not lost on this court. You've served this forum dilegently and dare I say admirably which would sway even the most hardened prosecutor. You're clear desire to make things right is a lesson we all should take to heart. I judge therefore, that your record be cleared of this misdemeanor, all references to this incident will be expunged from your history. Clearly you've learned your lesson - don't start any projects within one week of Christmas - and I doubt you'll forget it. Now, go forth. Complete that layout project. Post pictures so all your peers on the-gauge will be amazed and awed by your cleverness and modeling ability. Enjoy the grandkids. Clean your fingernails...ballast, turkey and Grandma's rolls don't mix.

Baliff...collect $20...what he already paid? Alright...(sound of gavel)...case dismissed.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night...(unless you'll be up building a bicycle or toy or something).

ezdays

Out AZ way
Oh joy, OH JOY!!!!!
408.gif
408.gif
Bless you my child for being so considerate and understanding.
408.gif
408.gif

I submit the following, just so you know you made the right decision:
  • Gramma's rolls come out of one of those pop containers found in the deli section of the supermarket, no fear of getting ballast in them since they are not touched by human hands :rolleyes:
  • I do the turkey and hand-make the stuffing, so if it's a bit gritty, I may have to excuse myself from the table. The glue on the other hand, is somewhat eatable and should help make the gravy a bit stiffer.:D
  • Ballasting is complete once again and tomorrow I polish the tracks and hope to get trains running once again.:thumb:
Uhhh, can I have my $20 back? No crime, no violation, no sentence, no fine, no court costs. It's that simple, defense rests :sleeping: :sleeping:.... Oh yeah, I still need that parking validation, and about that parking ticket...stooges8

Herc Driver

The wheels of justice in this town are greased with $20 bills. But, it's Christmas and this court is in a charitable mood so you may draw you $20 back from the clerk's office if you promise to use said court cost refund to buy yourself a great looking piece of rolling stock your the layout.

On a side note - and therefore not part of the public record - feel free to call the grittiness in the bird - birdshot. You're family will be impressed at your skills to hunt/shoot/dress/cook the family turkey. Don't mention the glue though...all gravey turns to paste anyway. And after the turkey triptophen stupor wears off (or when the family starts re-enacting Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation live in your living room), excuse yourself and go clean those rails, runs some trains and post pictures for this court to enjoy.

Case closed. Oh by the way...pay those parking tickets or Deputy Fife will drive over and impound those trains faster than you can say "Nip it in the bud".

ezdays

Out AZ way
Let's put it this way, if the court clerk had validated the parking check on time, there would not have been a parking ticket. Seems like in my hurry to get to court, I, uhhhh, I uh kinda parked in the mayor's spot.hamr hamr

And a very MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours my friend....

Herc Driver

sign1 sign1 sign1

Very well. I didn't vote for the mayor...and he owes me money anyway...tickets are recinded. Clerk...note today's proceedings in the county record.

Now go get that layout up to speed...the grandkids are coming!!! :D :wave: :thumb:

Merry Christmas train97