Built in Work Bench

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
This is unfinished and in fact, I've abbandoned it. Not the concept, just the particulars in this drawing. I started out reducing track from the double mainline version I originally posted under Paulsen-Knudson Planning. I decided to add some real estate, but wanted to reserve enough room for a 6 or 8 ft bench for modeling and full scale operations. So I outlines it in green, stripped out a lot of track, then decided it would be cool to go from bench to layout, this being the result. Something similar may find it's way into my life soon :D :D :D There may or may not be seperation between the bench and the layout.

1 ft./division

Green = workbench

Attachments

• last3.jpg
    last3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 234

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Jon,
It took me a while to realize that one thing that could really improve a layout, is leaving room for yourself, & all the things it takes to operate, & build the layout...creature comforts, in other words.
If your always having to squeeze through tight spaces (something that becomes harder & harder, the older I get :D) duck under things, bend over things, stretch, & contort your body in other ways, it'll really cause you to re-arrange your priorities, when it comes to future layout plans! ;)
The work bench is a great idea...we all need 'em, so you may as well include them in the plan!

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Thanks for the tips, Charlie! I will post the *final* plans before I finalize them and begin building :D :D :D Is it a problem to need a cherry picker to work on the mountains :D :D :D I will probably post, change, post, change, post until blue in the face and everyones fingertips are worn off.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Jon, I have seen a couple of layouts in which the loco could run thru a backdrop on to a workbench. If you have the room it can be handy. I would keep a backdrop between the layout and the bench myself so the bench wouldn't be too distracting. Feel free to post away, you might be surprised at out long our fingertips will last! :D :p :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
OK TR, thanks! I will not be responsible for damaged and/or worn out computer components, though, as others have implied. I have been alleged to cause beverages and bodily fluids to wreck havok on keyboards and other hardware. And no medical bills, please. I have enough of my own. :D :D :D

Actually I have sever ideas that are closer to what I want. So I might post one soon if I get the time.

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Jon,

Man are you an optimist! Tolerances of +/- .005.

Or is that .005 yards?

I've seen a few benches with a "test track" connecting to the layout. Always thought it a good idea. Saves a lot of handling of rolling stock.

I agree that it would be nice to "hide" the bench from the layout. And my personal preference for isleways is 30" minimum. Otherwise, if you're anywhere near as clumsy as I, you're always knocking into something with your elbows. Usually something that goes "crunch."

Bill S

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Bill: LOL! That's +/- .005 Units. Since Units are undefined in this case, I guess I can define them as I lay the track and see how close I get it :D :D :D Thanks for the isleways tips.

Tyson, whadya talkin' bout? I said it is an abandoned plan, it's one a my early drawins, it's a little dated :D :D :D 'Sides, a 50's layout should have 50's dreawings to werk frum, no?