buildings in a staging yard?

eve_9d9

I have alot of empty space in my staging yard, so I wanted to put some buildings there, but every pic I see of a staging yard has no buildings, just track, are there any kinds of structures I can use here that are realistic? sure seems like a big waste of real estate on my rather small layout if I dont....

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hi eve,

A lot of staging yards are unscenicked because they are out of sight from the rest of the layout so modelers don't bother. You can certainly add structures to your staging yard if you wish. Perhaps they could be houses near the tracks or simple industries that aren't served by the rails but are built nearby.

Ralph

Biased turkey

I just have the Model Railroader special issue about freightyards in front of me.
they mention the following structures:
Yard office
Icehouse and platform
Car-inspector shanty
And ... a restaurant built from a retired heavyweight coach.

brakie

I have alot of empty space in my staging yard, so I wanted to put some buildings there, but every pic I see of a staging yard has no buildings, just track, are there any kinds of structures I can use here that are realistic? sure seems like a big waste of real estate on my rather small layout if I dont....

Sure why not? I have often wondered why staging yards aren't scenic even if they are out of sight.Even just painting the wood green,adding a yard office and a railroad YMCA.

But,then my other thoughts is a staging yard is suppose to be the unseen beyond the layout division points and connections to the "outside world"..

But,again the argument still comes up in my mind should it not be at least scenic after all hidden or not its still being seen by the operatoring group or in some cases the staging yard operator after they have needs to watch their train entering or leaving staging..

So,yeah why not?

railohio

What's realistic depends on the era. A 1950s era layout could have some structure flats nearby and look completely realistic. A YMCA would be entirely appropriate up through the 1980s, though the vast majority of modern crews are housed through contracts with local hotels. Most modern yards, however, are set apart from society if possible and a lot of times you'll only see railroad structures and lots of fencing nearby. Older yards were built in the city center, as the cities would grow around the railroads. In the modern industrial climate many of these industries have closed and been replaced by vacant lots or new yards have been built specifically in rural areas.

~BS

BKlein

I work at the port and were doing work at our staging area right behind it is the jail with some training facilities and a place to house their horses there is also an old junk yard

Pooh Bah
I'm all for it. Since most staging yards have track plans that are model railway functional rather than prototype, you can take two views. One is that you need a lot of scenic works to distract from the track plan. The other is that you could use it for your older and (dare I say) cruder buildings that have been displaced.
Go for the more railroady ones without getting into stations and such.

eve_9d9

ok I think I have a good plan then.....a freight co. office, a few small shacks, and an inspection area....also thinking of adding a small pond. and at the other smaller staging area, Im going to change to an engine works, with an outside repair platform on one line, and a engine repair garage on the other, that the engines can actually pull into. my much farther down the road plan, is to use the larger staging area to add onto my layout, by simply continuing those tracks down the wall around the corner, and to another larger layout table, where when I have more experience building under my belt Ill do a much more industry driven setup, that can actually be operated....thanks for the ideas!

scubadude

My planned small (4 tracks plus double-track spur) staging area will have a freight transfer station, small fuel depot and light maintenance facility, team track, small office and storage buildings, abandoned switch tower and lots of 'junk' laying around....:thumb:

Russ Bellinis

If you are a U.P. modeler modeling Cajon Pass, the U.P. has a prototype staging yard in Yermo just outside of Barstow where trains coming in to the Los Angeles area are staged while waiting for permission to get on the BNSF main down the pass into LA. They have offices, and even a rip track where cars can be repaired if needed. No classification or switching there though. The tracks are occupied by complete trains, made up ready to go.